Intermittent reverse issue

Roxyred

86 X, 85 X, and 75 Spider with Abarth conversion
Hiya! So I read a bunch of posts here on trouble finding 5th/reverse, but that’s not my issue. So before I start any adjustments I figured I’d ask for some advice.

On both my X’s, once in a blue moon it doesn’t want to go into reverse, which is easily resolved by putting the car in second, giving it a nudge and then it slides into reverse no sweat. But lately on the 86 (my winter warrior) it’s refusing reverse more often than not. “Bumping” second isn’t helping, sometimes bumping 5th does. I have to work it pretty good and be patient on some occasions, and yet other times it just slides in like butter. I’m sure something is loose or needs adjusting, I haven’t been under the car yet due to freezing temps and lots of snow.

I can find 5th with my pinky and it makes happy snick-snick-snick shifts in 1-5. no gear noises, clunks, whines, grinds, or other dastardly sounds to speak of, in any gear.

Thoughts? I’m concerned there’s something inside the tranny that is loose or off. This tranny was a very nice used one I had installed about a year ago, and until the past few weeks it’s been delightful.

Lack of lubricant, loose linkage at the lolly pop or torn rubber at same.
Broken or loose motor mounts can cause engine to move affecting shifting.

Loose bolt on the tranny side of the pancake....solved! Finally got warm enough to have a look.

Back