Introduction

Hackerjay

Daily Driver
New to the forum, Been away from Fiat/Lancia's for about 30 years just now getting back into the cars. I have a 1976 Scorpion picked up on bringatrailer a while back.
The Scorpion is my daily driver. It however is not my only car so it can be torn down when I need to.
The Scorpion has 95K on it, I am the third owner. The second owner rebuilt the engine with hotter cams and 9.3-1 pistons then over the next 30 years put only 7K on it and garage kept it so it is 100% rust free and solid. I have replaced tires, brake calipers, rotors, hoses, struts front and rear, wheel bearings, cv boots, engine mounts and more just replacing old rubber. I have added TMH roof straps and hard top as well as the 5th gear ratio change. They tell me that I got the last set of these gears and that they do not intend to make more. FYI they were made by bacci romanao www.bacciromano.com should any one want to see if they could get them to make another production run. The car came with a state of the art 1976 Blaupunkt radio which sucked. It now has a modern flip up touch screen with GPS and a back up camera and a 1500 watt Blaupunkt amp hidden under the carpet on the passenger side where the styrofoam was and is running a 4 speaker stet up. This weekend it is also getting a sub woffer that will be mounted between the seats up high, only place I could find. Then a custom enclosure for it will be made and upholstered. I own a small factory and one of the department in the factory does upholstery so I had the seats done in a red vinyl that matches the interior much better then the original leather. We also sand blasted the wheels and powder coated them silver (nice to own a factory that does these things) Next up is the engine. I use to manage a company called Performance Apex in Renton WA, Ray the owner long since moved the company to his home, while there I also had a Scorpion and learned a lot about what can be done. I will be working with Ray on this. The plan is to start with a Fiat 2.0 punch it out to 2.1 drop the compression ratio down to about 7-1, flow the head, add a turbo and intercooler, "O" ring the block, eliminate the distributor, add FI and while the engine is out install a new modern AC compressor. The goal is more power all across the RPM range but not so much power that reliability is an issue. BTW while I have let all of my certs expire I was a mechanic, factory trained on many new cars, shop foreman at a new car dealership and held double master ASE certifications so while I have not done this sort of thing in 20 years, I do have a bit of a clue as to what I am doing. Many of the parts such as the manifolds will be made by my employee's using CNC equipment as such I could be persuaded once I know it all works well to make additional parts.
Jay

"The plan is to start with a Fiat 2.0 punch it out to 2.1 drop the compression ratio down to about 7-1, flow the head, add a turbo and intercooler, "O" ring the block, eliminate the distributor, add FI and while the engine is out install a new modern AC compressor."

~This would be a mostly NO~ how would proper turbo engine management be done (it is a LOT more complex than it appears)?

If ya wanna turbo engine in this Lancia, transplant a proper-well engineered-design turbo power train that has proven reliability and serviceability. There is zero justification to impose loyalty to a Fiat power train when there are alternatives.

Bernice

Or, you could jettison the spare tire and fab a holder to hold 2 ten pound bottles of NOS. Cover the bottles with a tire sidewall and no one will know.

No problem doing the engine management, well with in my wheel house, just did not feel the need to go into details. I want the ability to put car back to stock. Never really liked NOS. The spare will no longer be in the car, have not worked out air flow details yet but I suspect an intercooler will be in the general area.
Jay

Welcome Hackerjay!

I'm more of an old school carbs/cams/compression kinda guy, but I'll be watching this with interest. Of course there are many powerplants with more potential for higher specs than the Fiat twin cam, but there are also many whole cars (vintage or otherwise) with much higher performance specs than our cars.

Art and engineering joining hands to give a nod to the past is more inspiring to me than a comparative spec sheet analysis of motors is. Why would anyone use actual paint on actual canvas when we have these innovative iPads? Lest I go on...

Tune it with a laptop or with a flathead screwdriver, take lots of pics and share what you know about the 55 year old Lampredi twin cam and what it's powering.

Welcome @Hackerjay can’t wait to see your car in pics and see how you go through the process.

This part of the forum is quite active as you can see with a number of cars in process. You can also see we have a diversity of opinions about how to execute things as well.

To be clear and as you know, it is your car, make it yours, we are all just a peanut gallery... There are a number of people on here like Bernice who have amazing knowledge, ability, vision and a clear viewpoint, which many of us tend to express. (To the point of running threads all over the place which is ‘normal’ here).

We all appreciate being brought along by the owner of the car on their journey to making it what they want.

We look forward to seeing where you take this. Welcome and all the best.

Karl

Ray is retiring (sort of) He will work on components, just not cars. He is building several engines right now. BTW for any who knows Ray, they also more then likely know his wife Lori. Lori has stage 4 cancer.

I looked at other engine options, the car is just to nice. No rust ever, garage kept since day 1. I have other cars as well. I am in the middle of doing a major service (engine in car) on my wife Mondial and while at it was thinking a 3.2 Ferrari engine might fit in the scorpion ;) I am also building a Fiat 600 that is getting a 903 bored to 962 and super charged, That car will have a carb and electronic ignition. The 600 I get started on once the mondial service is done. It is the next car to go into the small area in my garage that I have insolated and heat and is also set up as a make shift paint booth with good air filtration. The Lancia gets started once Ray has a chance as he will be supplying many of the parts so that I can keep the car on the road until the engine is ready.

Jay

I saw in another thread for the first time the Midwest Bayless bumpers. Always liked the looks of the Monte front ends but seems like a lot of work to do the conversion. Never saw the Midwest Bayless bumpers before, I like them however Midwest no longer lists them. So, my question is, any one have a set that they either want to sell or could lend out? I own a small factory, we have a fiberglass department so if I had a pair to work with I could duplicate them and make as many as any one would like. However if making more then one for my own use I would make sure that it was ok with Midwest Bayless. My factory also has a metal fabrication shop so I can design the needed hardware and manufacture and powder coat it. Another item I am thinking of making, the plastic in back around the lights is broken up on my car but not so bad that we could not lift a mold from it, fix the issues and make new ones out of fiberglass. Not sure if I want to do this just for my own car, I do not know if this is an issue with others as such no idea if there is any demand or, if there is a place I can buy these that some one else has done. BTW my car is #598
Jay

I'm completely behind your turbo plans. I've been developing a turbo setup for one of my X1/9 (SOHC) engines. For a major performance gain I think a complete powertrain swap is best. But for a mild boost in drivability and fun then a small turbo is much easier than a total swap. Like you, I'm keeping the AC on my turbo X1/9 also.

Back