Is the Workshop Forum for Xs only?

Longitudinal

True Classic
What the title says. I started a Yugo project thread in the FWD forum, but then thought maybe it should be in Workshop.

I don't think it matters. I view the Workshop as a space for everyone as it seems everyone likes to see all the projects and issues, regardless of engine orientation, etc. Bring on the Yugo project! ;)

I am going to say that a Yugo project belongs in the FWD. Xweb was established as an X specific forum. The FWD section (and all the other sub-sections) were added over the years to give the other Fiat models a place of their own within Xweb.

Having the work in the FWD section drives some traffic there and for those looking for Yugo specific work it will be easier to find in the future. Particularly given the search function is a bit less than ideal.

The Workshop forum can bury a good build very quickly in the general threads which flare and burn out quickly there.

As a lot of people go to “new posts” your thread in the FWD forum will still have a wide audience in all likelihood.

I'm with Jim and Karl, it might be best to keep it in the FWD section and maintain the 'workshop' section for X's only. For all of the reasons that Jim and Karl said.

However I would consider the Yugo to be "Fiat content", despite the different name on the badge. In the same way I'd consider a Lada or similar to be a Fiat. So I see no reason for it to go into the NFC section - the FWD Fiat area is appropriate to me.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Yugo build becomes. I've always dreamed of taking a FWD car and mounting a drivetrain in the back to replace the original one. And a old school Italian hatchback is on my build list; I've build German ones but not something like a Autobianchi A112, Fiat 127, Yugo, etc. So this build hits both of my interests.

😄 Ah yes.....but his Yugo will be mid-engined...and RWD...which would by definition disqualify it for inclusion in the FWD section. Kinda like an enigma inside a conundrum.....

But more importantly...can we start the Yugo jokes yet ??

Isn't that kind of like saying a Honda swapped X is no longer a Fiat, and therefore disqualifies it from the workshop section? :)

I'd say it's based on chassis as supplied - so FWD forum makes sense. As noted, the 'new posts' button will bring it forth - since the intro of that feature I have looked at posts in forums I had never previously visited, so it works, IMO.

I am going to say that a Yugo project belongs in the FWD. Xweb was established as an X specific forum. The FWD section (and all the other sub-sections) were added over the years to give the other Fiat models a place of their own within Xweb.

Very well. So my instinct was correct. Being frank, here: I want to use this build to get my YouTube channel off the ground and to attract new business opportunities, so the more exposure the better. That's why I asked.

Very well. So my instinct was correct. Being frank, here: I want to use this build to get my YouTube channel off the ground and to attract new business opportunities, so the more exposure the better. That's why I asked.
That's cool Jonathan. As mentioned above, any update you make will show under the "New Posts" search. That's how I come into Xweb every time I visit. A good build thread with steady progress will have a following. Check out Daniel's 850 refurb thread over in the Rear Engine section. Daniel's thread has 36 pages of content and discussion since April 2019. I will be reading along as you proceed. :)

Last edited:
Mike, you are too old school, let's try an electric Yugo.
I too vote for FWD section but posting in tech any questions that might also apply to Xs.

That's cool Jonathan. As mentioned above, any update you make will show under the "New Posts" search. That's how I come into Xweb every time I visit. A good build thread with steady progress will have a following. Check out Daniel's 850 refurb thread over in the Rear Engine section. Daniel's thread has 36 pages of content and discussion since April 2019. I will be reading along as you proceed. :)

It got moved after all. I hope that is OK with all involved.

We are fairly laid back here so whatever the administrators do with your posts is fine.

Jim did bring up a good point. I did move it without talking to the other Moderators first. I am polling them now and we will get this post in the right location!

Longitudinal, looking forward to your updates!

Have the admin guys ever considered a separate heading for non-Fiat engine swaps?

Have the admin guys ever considered a separate heading for non-Fiat engine swaps?
I assume you mean a heading for "engine swaps" in general? For example any non-original engine into a X, regardless if the engine is a Fiat (e.g. Uno Turbo) or not (e.g. Honda). A good idea. My thinking here (and possibly Carl's also) is to have all info about such a major modification in one area. Engine swaps are a massive undertaking so the build threads tend to get very long. Plus there are so many variables that fall under this topic. All of the details for making a Honda (or whatever) run may not be of interest to the people with a X engine in their X. So perhaps it can easily be seen as "Fiat" or "non-Fiat content", depending on how you look at it (is a X with everything radically changed still a X?)....philosophically speaking. It seems as time has gone by we are seeing more and more X-swapped projects happening (which I like). So maybe there's enough info being generated on it to warrant a separate heading???

I'd say it's based on chassis as supplied - so FWD forum makes sense. As noted, the 'new posts' button will bring it forth - since the intro of that feature I have looked at posts in forums I had never previously visited, so it works, IMO.

I basically agree here... as cars are registered by the BODY, regardless of the engine, chassis, or where anything is placed

I based my comment on the fact that there is probably a very small cadre of folks interested in engine swapped Xs and 128s. I personally have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Hi All. I have asked all the admins on this as well, and most of them didn't have a preference. However, it sounds like the preference in this chat is to move it to the FWD group. I will go ahead and make this change.

As to the idea of a new group specifically for these types of swaps, that is a good point and the admins have not had a chance to hash this out as it seems like we need to have a section for all cars involved in long term projects.

Thank you everyone for the input and thoughts on this.

Eric.

Back