Is there a coolant (over flow) drain hose ?

Keithx1/9

Daily Driver
I went into my garage today to find coolant that had leaked out of my X 1/9. It appears to be coming from the center of the car near where the radiator hoses start to run towards the rear of the car. Is that normal? Is there a drain located there? Thank you all as usual

There is a small drain bung on each rad tube under the car. They are near the front where the tubes come out of the center tunnel and it is NOT common for those to leak. Of course it could just be a hose clamp that is loose, or worse, the heater core could be leaking through the floor. Is the carpet wet?

Pic of the bung locations:
IMG_2088 bungs.jpg

It is normal for these 3 coolant tubes to rust out from the inside. Replacement stainless steel tubes are the solution. Do not forget to replace the tube from the water pump to the thermostat housing. They rust out from the inside also. Many X 1/9 blown overheated engine failures are not due to the engine, they are due to coolant leaks.

There is a small drain bung on each rad tube under the car. They are near the front where the tubes come out of the center tunnel and it is NOT common for those to leak. Of course it could just be a hose clamp that is loose, or worse, the heater core could be leaking through the floor. Is the carpet wet?

Pic of the bung locations:
View attachment 64573
Thank you. It is coming from this hose

Attachments

• ABD281F7-A9AE-4E3A-ACCC-95897ED1B39D.jpeg
    ABD281F7-A9AE-4E3A-ACCC-95897ED1B39D.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 93
  • D8A41274-F580-4B98-9D38-485FBFC8FEFD.jpeg
    D8A41274-F580-4B98-9D38-485FBFC8FEFD.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 99
  • E6D2F102-03EA-4522-A7D9-E4325C996CEF.jpeg
    E6D2F102-03EA-4522-A7D9-E4325C996CEF.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 93
Agreed. Definitely looks like a heater core, I'm sorry to say.

Not a particularly fun repair as I understand...

The principal tool will be patience. Start here with the most recent post for a tip of the iceberg view of the problem.

Ok so I need to purchase a new heater core. Any special tools? Thank you again
If you have a "AC" heater box then it uses a different heater core and there are no replacements available. I guess the best option is to find a old school radiator repair shop to rebuild it (won't be cheap).

If you don't have AC then the heater core is the same as some others Fiats and Ladas, so it can be purchased new. See the threads describing replacement core options.

Back