Is there a repair procedure (US) for a Marelli diode rectifier?

Dallarax19

Builder -Dallara Replica
Took the alt to the auto parts store for a diagnosis. The prognosis is a failed rectifier. Before I order a reman alternator (no one has them on hand) is it repairable with some Radio Shack diodes? Please advise.

You should be able to either get it rebuilt at a starter alternator rebuild center. Or even just get the diodes you need from them.

I'm always buying brushes and starter contacts from our rebuild center.

Another suggestion...

Maybe someone has a diode pack from an old unit?
Just a thought...

AFAIK... the diodes are not...

... replacable in the rectifiers for these alternators... unlike old GM units and the like.

I have seen rectifiers for sale though... both at Bayless and Ebay at times...

(Just checked Bayless and they have REGULATORS listed but no RECTIFIERS... ya might give them a call...)

But at the risk of repeating myself... why not use this opportunity to upgrade to a GM alternator... and rid yourself of the fragile Marelli and Bosch units.

Info in Best Of and WIKI I believe... or write back for more info...

!!!

Replacing diodes is hard to do. They can cook easily while soldering. They need to be kept cool. It's better to replace the entire assembly. It's a scam for sure, no one sells the rebuild parts, only the entire rebuilt alternator.

Yeah Eddie... even back in the day...

... when they were about the size of a dime and were pressed into the casings of old GN alternators (60's), we used HEMOSTATS ("roachclips" for you Hippies out there...) as heatsinks when we resoldered their connections. Even had big "M"s stamped on them for Motorola...

I learned to clean everything up and "get in and get out" quickly with the soldering gun... back in the day when they were easily and finacially feasable to be rebuilt!

Back