Is this hose supposed to be connected to something?

Keithx1/9

Daily Driver
My car is leaking coolant from this hose son the center of the car. I thought that it was a drain hose but now I a wondering if it is supposed to be connected to something and it has become detached.

thank uou

Attachments

• B1972D4D-00CB-484C-BB23-9DC22BE85DC9.jpeg
    B1972D4D-00CB-484C-BB23-9DC22BE85DC9.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 53C56F4C-A3EA-4C79-BFFA-4459C1D16EEA.jpeg
    53C56F4C-A3EA-4C79-BFFA-4459C1D16EEA.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 105
My car is leaking coolant from this hose son the center of the car. I thought that it was a drain hose but now I a wondering if it is supposed to be connected to something and it has become detached.

thank uou
I believe it is the AC drain. You likely have a heater core leak.

Here is a thread on AC heater cores. In it, Hussein makes a great suggestion: Check the gaskets at the pipe and valve connections.

Maybe the core is fine and the gaskets for the connections have failed. It's possible. They are rubber and maybe as old as the car.

Thank you
That is what everyone is saying. I am having a hard time finding a ac car heater core so I think that I will bypass it for now.
There are no replacements for the AC style heater cores. Hopefully Karl's suggestion about the seals resolves the leak. Otherwise you can have the existing core rebuilt or possibly repaired at a old school radiator shop.

I installed a bypass hose. Tough place to get to
It is easiest to bypass it is in the engine compartment where the hoses are in plain sight and easy to reach. I bypassed mine while fixing pipes in the tunnel. I used a heater hose connected to the engine heater input/output ports with a restriction (rubber plug) in it. Based on what I read, you don't want a short rubber hose bypassing the head passages too much and I was only using the bypass as an easy way to plug the engine heater ports so the rubber plug forcing most of the water through the head worked fine.

VW has a neat, inexpensive rubber "cap" to plug the same size (roughly 5/8") heater lines. It is heavy duty and lasts forever. Held on by a hose clamp just like the heater hose:

Back