Is your X you daily driver?

Is your X your daily?

• Total voters

m4ff3w

matthew
Is your X your daily driver?

Also, how do you drive your X. Does she spend alot of time singing in the upper RPM range?

I have no radio at the moment, so she sings to me more often than I would like for fuel consumption.

I used an x for a daily driver for many years in college ( I know, after 8 years, I should have more than a BS ) back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Having two kids means I have to have a 4 door......

Except when it rains

I think "weather permitting" should have been one of the poll options...

I only have one garage door opener remote so whatever car I left it in last, that's the car I take :p

My X1/9 was a daily driver, then came along my BMW which is a nice ride to sit in and let it take me places.

As for driving style, I try to be civil. :cool: But I absolutely enjoy winding out 3rd gear in an uphill climb. That to me is where I have found she sings like a rock star :D

my first 4 X's were DD

And it was the true love affair with Italian automobiles. When they worked, it was a blast, and when they chose not to work, it was at the most inconvenient times. Now, at least during the winter or bad weather I have my Jeep, but for those nice summer days, the X will be on the road. Unless I need the cargo room of the Jeep. Kind of hard to take 4 or more 13 foot light stands in a X.

I am a single dad. Recently I installed some D rings on the seat belt mount points to attach my daughters child seat.

During low traffic periods I'll take her in the X. She enjoys being right next to me as well as having the top off.

Ed

Weekends for the most part. Slaloms, or lazy afternoon runs for ice cream with my oldest daughter into the country. With my daughter telling me to hit the corners faster:)

It was for over 10 years and 110,000 miles...

Now he lives the life of Riley...

I too would run down to Santa Monica, 35 miles away and pick up my granddaughter, Piper, from the time she was three... and give her a thrill ride home. Like being at Disneyland... and she would eeeek and scream... HA!

Her mother would have a cow when I would drive up with her on my lap and steering the car...

Love it!

Almost...

I have to drive my Van on some days for work on-site, if I'm building something. For plain design work, and whenever else possible, I drive the Bertone for fun, and for mileage. My Bertone gets twice the mileage my Vanagon does.

As for driving style, I am usually quite sedate. Being an injected 1500, I can lug it with ease, moreso than I should. I save my more spirited driving for Mirafiori.com's yearly Oregon gathering.

Even so, my daughter love the X, calls it the zippy car. :D

Will be again........

when I finish the rebuild. Summer and winter, I do around 35000kms per year to and from work plus the weekend driving. I also have a 69 mini cooper S which I use as my daily driver at the moment, but will be a weekender when the X is back on the road.........Oh the choices:D

X-History

X-1: 1975 daily driver. 100,000 miles before a fire killed it (shame on me).

X-2: 1978 daily driver. 175,000 miles before 2nd marrage and kids. I last saw it on the end of a hook.

X-3: Fair weather fan. My current car. Upgraded as needed for the sole purpose of drivability, no concern for serial number correctness.

I X-drive solely for the pleasure. Open top, warm breeze and rowing the 5-speed through the backwood twisties while making as much noise as possible (and barely breaking the speed-limit).

It's as much fun as you can possibly have with your pants on. I'll always own an X-1/9.

When I was there in Cali prior to July of this year...

I was driving my X two or three times a week to Palmdale (where I worked, now work for same company here in Marietta, GA), and I tell ya, it was such a joy and a blast to drive her the 85 miles each way on that trip...and did it with no real complaints from me OR the car lol, asides from a plug wire that came loose going up the mountain, causing raw fuel to dump into the cat, making for a nice cookout smell lol, or a wheel bearing and not to mention the pesky clutch master and slave that needed bleeding twice, which was finally replaced by Mark Allison, whom I will miss having great Italian car chats with there in Upland. Can't WAIT to get my X out here, SOOO many great twisties here!!!!! Cheers - Rich Banks

Last edited:
definitly daily driver

I drive one, my son drives one, and the third one fills in when I either want to go fast or am working on one of the others.

JimV

a summer fair weather daily driver

I keep it at home with rain in forecast.
I drive the crap out of it, most corners mean hit the gas.:cool:

Drive it daily when I can...

Weather permitting for me. The heater in the tealx isn't working up to par...kinda sorta works. Works well in the summer! :confused: Prolly should try and break the valve loose. Also have a water leak right on my gas foot. :eek: Driving with a weak heater and a wet foot in the cold isn't much fun!

One of three cars on the road, X not insured for work but I do

try to drive it daily. I enjoy very frequent shifts @ 5 k and enjoy pushing it into the turns also, as it's rural here and often not a car or house in sight,, almost like having my own trac.

Is your X your daily driver?

Also, how do you drive your X. Does she spend alot of time singing in the upper RPM range?.

I drive my X1/9 about 7,000 miles a year, but only about 3 days a week to work. I always drive hard so she sings to me. The Monza exhaust is great.

She will be spending a couple of months soon a sleep in the garage. I live in western MD and the snow and salt start in Jan and end in March.

Every Day

I drive the '79 X every day on country roads in the morning. The '83Spider is the "everywhere else every day driver" whereas the X is specifically on the backroads. Mainly because the tires are almost shot and the carbs need rebuilding. I still love the experience though, and it will be an "everywhere else every day driver" as it was before. The '86 X runs and drives fine but the transmission spring is broke and it needs new clutch, but I start it up weekly. You should never let any car sit for long periods of time without at least being started.

Back