Issues with reverse

RocketMonkey101

Daily Driver
I've been driving my 850 around a bit and am noticing that it's a real pain getting into reverse sometimes. I have to try and get the shifter into reverse a few times (sometimes more than a few) until it finally gets into gear. I own an old VW also and I know with those if I pump the clutch once or twice it will allow the reverse to engage but that's doesn't seem to be the trick with the FIAT transmission. Do you guys have this issue? Is it common? is it just the way the trans is or am I looking at a potential problem here?

Hi Rocket,

I do not have an 850, so I don't know how similar the shifting mechanisms are. My 85 X sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse. I tried double clutching and letting the car roll a little which would eventually work. The best advice I was given was to select another gear, then go for reverse. I suppose this is just a method of realigning things, but it actually works very well.

It may be that you're not selecting Reverse "correctly". If you just push the gearshift lever to the right & pull it backward to get Reverse, it'll balk/grind. Instead, put the gearshift lever in Neutral position, & while pushing DOWN on the gear knob, move the lever to the right & then towards the back of the car.

If you're still having issues, there are 2 common culprits; a misaligned (or worn out) gearshift selector coupler (aka: the "lollipop"), or a cracked/broken (& thus slightly sagging) transmission side mounting bracket. Either way, a trip under the car appears to be in order...

BTW, the 850 clutch is non-hydraulic (cable/lever activated), so pumping the pedal will only get you a bit of exercise. :D

Back