I've finally joined the club...

rachaeljf

True Classic
I am doing a swap deal for this "project" car, which is the forlorn remains of a re-shell:

The plan is to make something like this:

Thinking of cheating and using an Audi front clip to give me the correct north-south layout.

Last edited:
Looks like a good candidate for an 037 conversion...

What's the plan, to reduce the shell to the passenger compartment and construct front/rear spaceframes?

Whose fiberglass are you looking at?

What drivetrain and orientation?

I'll be watching this project with great interest as it's something I've contemplated with my Scorpion. Probably a little too much!

Pete

There is a chap in the UK, Mick Covill, who is making replicas of the Lancia S4, Abarth 037 and Metro 6R4.

http://www.rallylegendreplicas.com/Welcome.html

For the 037 Mick is staying very close to the original with front and rear space frames, but with an Audi gearbox mated to a TC engine.

However, being an engineer I'm taking a more pragmatic view. I'm not looking for a perfect replica (even Mick's is not a complete replica), I just like the look of the 037 Stradale. The project will keep me happy and give a Monte a new life on the road.

If I'm going to use an Audi gearbox, I may as well use the complete Audi front running gear, and maybe an Audi engine too. This will be grafted to the rear of the Monte's passenger cabin, so as to give the correct 037 long wheelbase and north-south power unit. At the front, I think the original Monte running gear is ok, so I will probably keep it, with upgraded components.

Got another Monte on the way...

Just can't help myself. I'm in the process of buying a 1983 coupe. Looking forward to driving it next Spring!

Cheers R

That looks nice Pete. I know there is some debate about colour matching the nose band, but I like it.

I feel really privileged to have landed this car. The current owner is a real gentleman and has looked after the car really well. He hasn't had much time to keep it tip-top recently and decided to let it go because he has other projects on the go - you can just see one in the garage behind the Monte. I really can't afford it but I had to go for it. I'm well chuffed!

Thread resurrection!

I thought I should post a little update. I decided it was better to do it properly...

The car will use an Audi transaxle and a Fiat Coupe 20V turbo engine. Hope to be getting the engine this weekend.

Not another tub

It's the Scorp from the other photos. Although it looks ok in the photos, it had its share of problems with body panels, rear crossmember, etc. So this project took care of most of that, about the only body-related item to address now is the Fred Flintstone floorboards.

Also it makes insurance and registration easier, since it will ultimately be the same serial number car, just highly modified.

Pete

Some progress on the 037

The chassis has been modified to fit the Fiat Coupe 20V turbo engine. It all fits pretty snugly, about an inch between the cam wheel cover and rear bulkhead!

Back