Jay Leno episode Lancia 037

motoTrooper

True Classic
Love anything and all 037 related and seeing this episode was worth enduring the painfully dull and spoiled owner.

Hard to call him an auto enthusiast as you need to have at least a modicum of enthusiasm.

That's a nice looking Lancia. Please educate me on it. The body work appears to be a 'wide-fender' version? Although the rear spoiler is too large for my taste, the design of it looks good. And I love the nose/front spoiler. I also see a "bubbled" roof panel? Roll cage is well done. Is all of this a factory version, or a body kit, or ??? The video may have answered my questions but I only watched a couple seconds of it (with the sound off) to see the car (I've very ADHD that way...more than a few seconds and I'm gone).

On a side note, I'm not sure which of the two guys you were referring to. But having met Jay in person a few times it is interesting how different he acts when he is not on camera or in front of a crowd; actually low key and 'normal' to chat with. Its obvious he reads a lot of books and knows a lot of car facts.

The short history of the 037 is that Lancia needed a car for WRC work (World Rally). That requires homologation, so they had to build the car off an existing model. They used the Lancia Scorpion/Montecarlo. Well, to be correct, they used the passenger tub of the car and changed everything else. They chopped off the front and back, built tubular subframes, extended the wheelbase, changed the suspension from strut to true double wishbone, changed the engine orientation from transverse to longitudinal, used a ZF gearbox, and added a supercharger. So yes, it has much wider fenders/bodywork than the Scorp/MC it is based on, and the bodywork was fiberglass with I think some Kevlar thrown in there somewhere. The bodywork at both ends is just a big fiberglass clamshell that opens. Front tilts forward, while the rear hinged just behind the drivers head and swung up. Not all had the big whale tail (mine will not). The whale tail was present on all the actual rally cars, however.

The 037 was the last 2-wheel-drive car to win the WRC. Homologation only required 200 street (stradale) versions to be built, so they are very rare, decent examples will fetch a quarter million easy.

Pete

As I read your excellent description of the rally version it all came back to my memory. Like oh so much, I'd forgotten about that one. Group B rally cars were simply amazing! Have you posted much on your 037 build? I believe Rachael is also building one?

As I read your excellent description of the rally version it all came back to my memory. Like oh so much, I'd forgotten about that one. Group B rally cars were simply amazing! Have you posted much on your 037 build? I believe Rachael is also building one?

We both are, yes. I don't post much about the 037 here, this being an X1/9 forum so pretty far off topic, but I do keep a blog on it, link is in my sig.

Pete

Jay doesn't get a lot of facts right at the start of the video. He says that the Scorpion (available in 76 and 77 only) was marketed as being related to this car, which wasn't developed til the 80's. He overstates the HP of the Scorpion at 110 (it was 81), and he calls the X1/9 the "X nineteen".

But hey, if I had his car collection, I would probably not be able to recall the particulars of every model in it either. And, he owns no Scorps, 037s or X nineteens that I know of.

Still, you would think they would fact check the show.

Pete

That Jay Leno YouTube video lacks content and plays to typical moto head stereotypes and bias as Jay Leno and their producers efforts to appeal to an audience. This is precisely what Velocity Channel does with the majority of their programming and how it is produced. This is precisely how moto stereotypes and myths live on in the moto media and moto folk's minds and moto journalist publications.

Jay Leno being a "nice guy" alone will not do. Expectations must be more than that and owning all those motos alone is no where near enough.

-Ick...

Here is a better video:

As for the Lancia 037, this is how the 037 should be driven:

The Chris Harris reaction:

Then we have some of what happens at Abarth:

Bernice

I was frankly very disappointed in Jays video.
All the negative comments about the MC/Scorpion. Really let's think about what was on the market at the time. It is true Lancia didn't help by installing the smog strangled USA engine but let's remember that a 76 Camero put out a whopping 140 hp at the time.
I think he was really unfair to the Lancia.

That Jay Leno YouTube video lacks content and plays to typical moto head stereotypes and bias as Jay Leno and their producers efforts to appeal to an audience. This is precisely what Velocity Channel does with the majority of their programming and how it is produced. This is precisely how moto stereotypes and myths live on in the moto media and moto folk's minds and moto journalist publications.

Jay Leno being a "nice guy" alone will not do. Expectations must be more than that and owning all those motos alone is no where near enough.

-Ick...

Here is a better video:

As for the Lancia 037, this is how the 037 should be driven:

The Chris Harris reaction:

Then we have some of what happens at Abarth:

Bernice
I more like driver’s expressions of 037, it seems that he loves that car.

when I was watching the clip I was watching the owner trying not to show emotion at how the car was being treated.

Back