Junkyard report; 79 X19 Pick a part Monrovia CA

Kevin Channer

True Classic
Pick a part has a X19 in the Monrovia yard. I checked it out today, it was still mostly complete. It is a carb car with a/c. Interior fair, after market wheels are gone. Steering wheel and a few bits are now missing. It looked like it was a running project, some new parts were strewn around, with a Rock auto receipt nearby. Sorry no photos, the lqk website has a photo of it when it arrived in the yard. There is also a Fiat 124 Spider in the yard.

I saw this car on the LKQ site on Friday morning, but couldn't get free & out there until Sunday. That funky brown/tan paint scheme with the brown/white interior was very 1970's! I kinda liked it! :D

79x.jpeg

I spent the afternoon there pulling various parts needed for my friend Sam's derelict X1/9:

samsXstuff2.jpg

I also pulled a few items for my 128's &/or for resale later (you know me). ;)

Did you grab the steering wheel, gauge unit, shift knob & trunk lid emblem?

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, No I did not take the steering wheel, gauges, emblem or shift knob. Those were gone when I got there. Also the wheels, and some of the a/c panel fascia. I did remove the e brake handle but did not take it, a friend changed his mine. I took mostly the new parts that were off he car; brake pads, starter, and misc. Glad to know you made it over there.

Sounds like you both got some nice parts.

Did either of you happen to notice the condition of the rear trunk lid? Any extra holes in it...like for a luggage rack, extra antennas, spoiler, etc? Any noticeable rust, damage, etc? Mine has all of the above so I'd consider getting a replacement if it is clean.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Jeff, No I did not take the steering wheel, gauges, emblem or shift knob... I took mostly the new parts that were off he car; brake pads, starter, and misc. Glad to know you made it over there.

You forgot the new rear pads (they're still there, in the front trunk). It looked like a number of people had been there before me, taking various odd bits.

I can't believe nobody had nabbed this!:

xdash04.jpg

No cracks! :) ;) :D

Last edited:
Did either of you happen to notice the condition of the rear trunk lid? Any extra holes in it...like for a luggage rack, extra antennas, spoiler, etc? Any noticeable rust, damage, etc? Mine has all of the above so I'd consider getting a replacement if it is clean.

The rear lid had a chrome luggage rack on the car (it's barely visible in my photo above), but it had been removed before I got there. Funny thing is, they forgot to take the intermediary hardware (chrome base pads with screws/bolts) that held the rack to the trunk lid - one had been torn free, leaving an ugly hole.

3 small holes & 1 big one. This isn't a trunk lid you'd want. :(

one had been torn free, leaving an ugly hole.
Funny, on my '79 someone also had torn off the luggage rack, leaving a big ripped hole plus severely bending up the 3 other holes. Also there's a HUGE hole that was gouged right in the middle for a '80s cell phone antenna (which was still there, sticking directly through where the luggage rack was so it couldn't be used), another largish hole for a aftermarket radio antenna (to replace the broken stock one), and a couple small holes that look like some kind of badge once lived just above the Fiat badge. Plus a little rust on the edges, some dents, scratches, extremely oxidized paint, etc.. So the amount of body work needed to get it back in shape seems more than the expense of replacing it. But I guess not with this one...thanks for the reply.

By the way, I also have that luggage rack mounting hardware if anyone needs it. It was left in the trunk (don't recall if it is all 4 or just 3). As you said, can't understand why they would steel the rack and not take the mounts.

Yes they sell tires, sometimes they are a good deal. I could not figure out if an X owner removed the parts before Jeff or I got there. I believe the steering wheel and shift knob were aftermarket generic so anybody could have removed them. The gauges, luggage rack, and tail lights would only be of use to an X owner, but sometimes people take them on spec with the belief they will bring big bucks. One thing I appreciate, and I know Jeff does too, is when some one removes something that they do so without trashing the other parts.

Yes they sell tires, sometimes they are a good deal.

They have a "Monday Madness" sale where any tire on a steel rim is only $7 (+ $1 core charge), but a tire on an alloy rim does not qualify. It used to be only at the Riverside PAP, but now most of the other PAP locations seem to be offering it, as well. It can be a good opportunity to get decent tires for a good price. Even better to get Fiat steel wheels (with or without good tires) for cheapI :)

One thing I appreciate, and I know Jeff does too, is when some one removes something that they do so without trashing the other parts.

Yup, I always try to do this whenever possible. You never know what someone else (or even you, on a return trip) will need parts-wise. In fact, you'll likely find the top-end parts to that cars engine stacked in a nice little pile in the spare tire well & p/s floor - that was me. ;)

They have a "Monday Madness" sale where any tire on a steel rim is only $7 (+ $1 core charge)...It can be a good opportunity to get...Fiat steel wheels (with or without good tires) for cheapI :)

Good example: Earlier today, I nabbed the single OEM "cloverleaf" type steel wheel with a nice Michelin XZX tire on it that this X1/9 still had. $7 & no core charge since I brought an old Honda steel wheel that I had in the junk pile, which negated the usual $1 core fee (the core charge is for the steel wheel, not the tire). Ironically, that Honda wheel came from a different trip to a different Pick-A-Part, where I bought it solely for the near-new 175/70/13 tire that was on it. That tire was for my Fiat 128! Thus, we complete the Circle of (Car) Life. :)

This Fiat Cloverleaf wheel & XZX tire will be a "shop/rescue roller" for now, while at the same time completing a full set of 5 wheels (4 + 1 spare) currently fitted to my 850 Sport Coupe. Although the XZX is in nice shape, it's far too old for me to even consider driving on it. But it's perfect for moving project cars around!

Back