K20 project off to a good start, volume 2

Doors!
9D8CDDE5-ACA7-428A-86A7-E4A555167B3F.jpeg

Do you have a glass case to put it in when you’re done? I mean your not going to actually drive it are you?
Looks great Roger!

You gotta drive the crap out of it Rodger! YOLO

I'll have to get my ride finished then we can take them to the track and race for fun :p

I then attached the other ends to the shifter mechanism that comes with the kit. It took a little bit of playing with the adjustment nuts to get the right length, but not a lot of time. Matt had this dialed in pretty nicely.

Here is the shifter bolted into position. All of the gears engage smoothly and with very short throws. Can't wait to drive it someday.
View attachment 3488

Now that I have the shifter, I notice that there is no 'neutral' spring of any kind to stop the shifter 'flopping' when it is not in a gear. Does the detent spring in the trans shift module keep the shifter in place when it's in neutral?

I'm used to Volvo-spec, which has this spring in place to maintain proper neutral position:

XCM66short-Shifter0017-1.jpg

XCM66short-Shifter0020.jpg

Now that I have the shifter, I notice that there is no 'neutral' spring of any kind to stop the shifter 'flopping' when it is not in a gear. Does the detent spring in the trans shift module keep the shifter in place when it's in neutral?
Yes it does. The transmission centering spring seems pretty strong so much more positive in neutral than the stock Fiat shifter.

The MWB swap kit comes with the shifter that they designed as well as the cables so no, I did not consider other options. Good to know, though.

Roof! I had a productive day in the garage today. Finished re-cutting and buffing the targa sail and side panels as well as the windshield frame. I got the side scoops and vents on. Polished up the sail trim and installed that. Polished up the rain gutters and riveted them to the windshield frame. Finished fitting and adjusting the targa top. I'm beat.
IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

The original top that came with the car was the standard pebbled black, but it was scratched a bit, so I thought I would try having it sanded and painted the body color like some of the later Bertones. I'm still getting used to the look as opposed to the black of my '79. The car had the insulated top even though it was not air conditioned. As others have commented, it is a heavy sucker, but should contribute to a cooler, quieter ride in hot weather.

Roof! I had a productive day in the garage today. Finished re-cutting and buffing the targa sail and side panels as well as the windshield frame. I got the side scoops and vents on. Polished up the sail trim and installed that. Polished up the rain gutters and riveted them to the windshield frame. Finished fitting and adjusting the targa top. I'm beat.
View attachment 19519
View attachment 19520
View attachment 19521

The original top that came with the car was the standard pebbled black, but it was scratched a bit, so I thought I would try having it sanded and painted the body color like some of the later Bertones. I'm still getting used to the look as opposed to the black of my '79. The car had the insulated top even though it was not air conditioned. As others have commented, it is a heavy sucker, but should contribute to a cooler, quieter ride in hot weather.

Sorry if I missed it in your earlier build post where you detailed the body work, but can you advise what was done to smooth the top and prep for paint?
Is it just a standard sand and prep job to remove the texture, or some filler?
It looks fabulous, and I have a good spare with a few cosmetic issues like you mentioned that I have been considering doing the same with, so very interested in the process.
Your car is simply a work of art, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Sorry if I missed it in your earlier build post where you detailed the body work, but can you advise what was done to smooth the top and prep for paint?
Is it just a standard sand and prep job to remove the texture, or some filler?
It looks fabulous, and I have a good spare with a few cosmetic issues like you mentioned that I have been considering doing the same with, so very interested in the process.
Your car is simply a work of art, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!
Thanks for the kudos. I really don’t know how the top was prepped as it was done by the body shop. I can find out though.

View attachment 19519
View attachment 19520
View attachment 19521

Yet another part of the car you’ll need to constantly polish. Haha...looks great!

Back