K20 project off to a good start, volume 2

Pardon the second necropost on the same thread in one day...

There is a wisdom to FIAT's placement of the fuel tank. Toyota had a different but analogous solution on the MR2 (fuel tank in the tunnel.) The stock fuel tank is placed behind the car's second heaviest component--the driver--and very near center mass of the vehicle. Although throwing some weight into the frunk seems like a positive move in weight distribution, the reality is that there would be a notable difference in weight distribution between full tank and empty tank.

Also, as Rodger said, that frunk is handy.
OK, I get it. Without a frunk you have little cargo carrying capability. With the frunk you have ALOT!
But, in my experience with just a driver (a heavy one) in the car the RF corner is WAY underweight. In my racecar that leads to pushing in left hand corners. I put my fuel cell in the frunk, and the (heavy) battery in the passenger's footwell. And yes, I can feel the way the burn off of fuel influences handling (even in short - half hour - races). I also put the oil filter in the original battery location. And I still don't have enough weight in the RF.
I suppose I could some lead in the right hand side of the frunk, but my car is just at the weight limit as is and I doubt the additional weight would help in the LH corners (the majority of turns). If anything I would add another battery in the passenger's side footwell as that would at least serve two purposes. Mind you this is all about a racecar, most folks won't drive with nice sticky slicks, and won't try to push hard in daily driving. But if you're going to put a powerful and heavy powerplant in the back of your car, and you're not a drag racer, you probably want to drive around corners fast, so...

OK, I get it. Without a frunk you have little cargo carrying capability. With the frunk you have ALOT!
But, in my experience with just a driver (a heavy one) in the car the RF corner is WAY underweight. In my racecar that leads to pushing in left hand corners. I put my fuel cell in the frunk, and the (heavy) battery in the passenger's footwell. And yes, I can feel the way the burn off of fuel influences handling (even in short - half hour - races). I also put the oil filter in the original battery location. And I still don't have enough weight in the RF.
I suppose I could some lead in the right hand side of the frunk, but my car is just at the weight limit as is and I doubt the additional weight would help in the LH corners (the majority of turns). If anything I would add another battery in the passenger's side footwell as that would at least serve two purposes. Mind you this is all about a racecar, most folks won't drive with nice sticky slicks, and won't try to push hard in daily driving. But if you're going to put a powerful and heavy powerplant in the back of your car, and you're not a drag racer, you probably want to drive around corners fast, so...

Right. FIAT's decision was about practicality for stowage and consistency of handling (as opposed to best possible.) I wouldn't be surprised if most racers move the tank to the frunk. The tires are better. The drivers are better. And the difference in handling comes on gradually, so the driver can adjust as the fuel burns off. Plus good used tanks don't grow on trees.

Right. FIAT's decision was about practicality for stowage and consistency of handling (as opposed to best possible.) I wouldn't be surprised if most racers move the tank to the frunk. The tires are better. The drivers are better. And the difference in handling comes on gradually, so the driver can adjust as the fuel burns off. Plus good used tanks don't grow on trees.
New tanks are readily available now.

Back