K20 project off to a good start

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by Rodger, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DSobota

DSobota Daily Driver

Roger, Thanks I will be starting a thread and posting my progress. I thought that maybe you ran into a specific problem with tying in the rear cross member and routing the exhaust. This site is a rabbit hole for a new guy like me. Loads of information. Great stuff. Many talented people. I have chatted with and visited MWB (only 2hrs away) Matt and Brayden have been very helpful.

2. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

The reason why I said there would be a problem with the cross brace piece that Darin welded in place was because I built my header starting with an eBay cheapy shorty header. The stock Acura exhaust is routed to the left side of the car, so the header outlet is aimed in that direction. When you bring that header outlet into the X exhaust bay, it pretty much goes through the center of the large opening, which is why the MWB directions say to cut out the stock panel as it is in the way. Darin's brace would also be in the way for my header, but he is building a custom header from the flange back so he can easily route his exhaust through the right side opening.

3. DSobota

DSobota Daily Driver

Thanks Roger something I will pay attention to. Just trying to avoid any pitfalls that may come with a custom job when so many others have gone before. MWB directions??? In printed form? LOL I will have to check on that for I did not receive a copy. Just the FAQ sheets.

4. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

With my kit, I got a 25 page K20-Notes document with lots of photos as well as the FAQ document. I can send it to you by email, but I would think that Matt would provide it if you bought the kit from him.

5. darwoodious

darwoodious Darin Nelson

Matt sent it to me in electronic format (MS Word) - if you paid for the kit already I'm sure he'll just email it to you.

6. DSobota

DSobota Daily Driver

Thanks guys, emailing them now.

7. darwoodious

darwoodious Darin Nelson

This quoted part is from an older post (here)...

I saw that Hussein (@lookforjoe) liked my post. I'm with Rodger on this tho in so far as limiting the area for the exhaust outlet, so I'm modifying it. Also - and probably more important - I was thinking about how one would install a header (even a "shorty") onto the head with no access available. Thus I've decided to replace that reinforcement with a removable part that is similar. Best of both worlds: keep the rigidity but allow the header to be extracted thru the "muffler bay(?)".

I'll post more in a week when that project is complete.

lookforjoe likes this.
  8. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Just in case you're monitoring posts here - I sent you an email request for the spreadsheet :D