K20 project off to a good start

block stamp

from generic googles..

relative to the throttle body it will be on the block, under the throttle body. you will be looking for a 1.5 x 1.5 inch square chunk with an engraved serial/ block number...k20a, k20a2, k20a3, etc with a sleu of numbers underneath it.

js0yzl.jpg

Odie

Yep, that is where I found mine

Here is a picture of the stamp from my engine.
K20 engine before 12.JPG

Here is a picture of the label on the cam chain cover.
K20A2 label.jpg

If you look close, you can see the excess liquid gasket around the cover.

Last edited:
So the cover says K20A2 - But the motor casting is K20Z1? You think that cover was pulled from another motor?

Here is a picture of the stamp from my engine.

Here is a picture of the label on the cam chain cover.

If you look close, you can see the excess liquid gasket around the cover.

I think I would go with K20z1. It would not be a reach someone swapped cam covers. The gasket sealant Honda uses is a puddy/gray color. You could also pull the cover and examine the cams.

Definitely

I would venture a guess that the chain cover is from the original engine but I would probably need to see if there is a way to find out the original engine serial number from knowing the VIN. Unfortunately, I can't make out the entire number on the tag because the sensor wire is in the way on the picture and the tag right now is mostly obliterated. It is a moot point anyway. The only thing that matters is that the engine is probably a Z1 internally and it ran great before we pulled it.

Do you know how you tell the difference between the A2 cams and Z1 cams?

:hmm:

Wait a minute - is that K20Z1 stamp on the engine or the transaxle? Do you have other pics? The Z1 uses PRC intake, T-body, etc. A2 uses PRB - at least an A2 from an RSX-s - AFAIK

The Z1 stamp is on the block

The transaxle is the one from an A2, the X2M5. I assume it is the original. It is not the transaxle that comes with the Z1 motor as those are labeled NSN4. Here is a picture of the label on the transaxle.
K20 X2M5 transaxle.JPG

The ECU from the car is the original A2 one. The number is PRB-A04 which is from a 2002-04 RSX-S, so fully compatible with a K-Pro upgrade. The wiring harness also has to be the original.

I plan to take off the cam cover at some point and I will take pictures. At this point though, I don't know if one can tell if the cams are from an A2 or a Z1 just by looking.

Last edited:
Paint at last!

Well it seems like it has been forever getting the shell ready for paint, but the body shop finally put on the base coat today. :dance2: They will finish it tomorrow, then do the clear coat on Friday. Next is the Rhino liner in the wheel wells and underneath, then hang the doors, hoods and headlight pods. Then I get to bring it home and start putting stuff on it. :grin:

Base coat 01.jpg

Base coat 02.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. What color blue is this? My step mom's 1978 X was blue metallic and remains one of my favorite examples of an X. It was an OE color which was much lighter than yours appears to be.

Excellent choice! :thumbsup:

Nogaro Blue Pearl

I've had a couple of Audi S4s in the past and Nogaro Blue was always my favorite color that they came in. I was too conservative to get mine in the blue, but have always loved it. I figured since the pure Italian restoration went out the window when I went for the K20 swap, why not pick my favorite car color? I am also going to do the seats and door panels with Nogaro Blue Alacantara inserts like Audi does.http://jalopnik.com/the-audi-rs4-avant-nogaro-is-a-very-blue-tribute-to-the-1516479267

I've never been one to name my cars, but how about "Blue Tooth"? ;) What do you think, Tony? I think it's probably trademarked though....

Great color, it appears to be near the color of my wife's Miata, Mariner Blue

IMG_0232.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Rodger!

Are you going with larger wheels and did you already roll the fender lip or modify them otherwise? You will need more tire on the ground for your increased power...

Yep, 15's

Haven't bought the rims yet. Plenty of time for that. I did roll the inside of the front edge of the fenders, thanks to a suggestion a while ago from Doug Martin.

Bravo!

I LOVE the color choice. Congrats on your progress.

Consider an "offset" color on the interior. Kind of like the S2000 club racers' mustard yellow on apex blue combo:

Although I think a darker bronze color would be nicer...

Unless you really restrain yourself, the blue on blue might be a little much....just my two pennies.

Keep posting!

Interesting idea

I hadn't really thought of a contrasting color. I'll give it some thought. :hmm:

Back