K20 project off to a good start

Clear coat done

Here are a couple of pics of the clear coat. It shows the color better.
Clear coat 02.JPG

Clear coat 03.JPG

They are going to wet sand and polish it, then do the black out areas and Rhino liner. Sean, the owner, did one of the doors while I watched how he did it. It was like a mirror! I decided to leave the car unassembled for now which will make it easier for me to wire it and install the interior without the doors getting in the way.

Last edited:
Stunning paint job! Can't wait to see it with all the doors and hoods and lids on and polished. Also amazing is how it sits on that cart! The cart doesn't look like it should be able to hold that much weight ;)

Blue comes home!

The stay at Resurrection Auto Body is finally over. :woot::dance: Now the real work begins....putting it together. :sigh: Now I find out how much I really bit off on this project. Anyway, here are some pics of the finished shell. The underside,wheel wells, radiator well in addition to the floor pan inside the car have been Rhino-lined.

Blue comes home 02 cropped.jpg

This it arriving on the flat bed. I thought this shot kind of looks like Back To The Future meets Star Wars on Endor.

Blue comes home 03.jpg

The doors are hanging on the wall behind the car, hopefully out of harm's way.

Blue comes home 04.jpg

Blue comes home 06.jpg

Blue comes home 07.jpg

Blue comes home 08.jpg

Blue comes home 11.jpg

Thanks to Sean and the guys at Resurrection for doing a great job and putting up with my constant nitpicking. Thanks also to everyone on this forum for advice, encouragement, and most of all, inspiration to attempt this project.

Last edited:
Rodger... I think you just took this to a new level...

Talk about "doing things right..."

WOWOWOWOWOW!

This is not the hard part... well maybe the hard part is not scratching anything when reassembling... this is the FUN part, no matter how hard it is.

Do... Do... what the pros Do... and use lots of Painter's Tape to protect things as you install then... EVERYWHERE. Wasting tape is a whole bunch easier, better, and faster than trying to restore a scratch, chip or ding!

Wishing you continued success!

Pretty stinkin awesome!!!

This is now one of my all time favorite X photos.

I first saw it on my phone and thought what the ... :confuse2: ... it's floating in the forest...? Yep. Very Star Warsian. :laugh: I also love the home made rotisserie. Very inventive.

Rodger. The car is looking amazing. Keep up the great work and keep posting updates.

Cheers,

Rob

Just bought two big rolls

Do... Do... what the pros Do... and use lots of Painter's Tape to protect things as you install then... EVERYWHERE. Wasting tape is a whole bunch easier, better, and faster than trying to restore a scratch, chip or ding!

Wishing you continued success!

Great suggestion. Same one I got from the body shop guys. I'm also going to pick up a roll of foam to tape over the door sills so I don't keep leaning on that sharp seam.

Great suggestion. Same one I got from the body shop guys. I'm also going to pick up a roll of foam to tape over the door sills so I don't keep leaning on that sharp seam.

Man, that looks like such fun Rodger. I suggest a lot of friends to help and later to blame when a scratch appears somewhere ;)

Resurrection Auto Body

Roger, do you think Resurrection Auto Body would be up to doing other K20 saps now that it appears that Matt has gotten out of that business?

They would love to

I just talked to Shawn Patrick, the owner, and he said they would love to do more. They are really good at custom fabrication. I just had them do the fabrication and body work and I was going to do the rest myself since it was a full on resto-mod and it is kind of a hobby project for me, but they should have no problem doing the whole thing if that is what you want. Give Shawn a call at 360-915-7841. He has a lot of pictures of his work on Facebook.

Matt Gone from K20 Swaps???

Roger, do you think Resurrection Auto Body would be up to doing other K20 saps now that it appears that Matt has gotten out of that business?

Please tell me what you know here. I know Matt invested a lot of time into the K20. Where has his focus shifted?

TonyK.

I talked to one of Matt's representatives a few weeks ago and he had mentioned that they are not doing restorations,
K20 swaps or Dallara customs any more...just selling the kits and parts.

I talked to one of Matt's representatives a few weeks ago and he had mentioned that they are not doing restorations,
K20 swaps or Dallara customs any more...just selling the kits and parts.

Huh? That is a shocker, but I suppose Matt is busy enough with all the "normal" restorations and work. The Honda engine swaps and Dallara body kits can be super time consuming.

As long as he keeps selling the kits and parts for them I am a happy camper... :dance:

Slow but steady progress

Nothing real exciting, but working on getting all of the Fiat bits and parts refurbished before I can start to put the car back together. Figure I better post something to keep this thread active.

First thing on the car was the Fiat badge on the nose.
IMG_1586.JPG

Just finished up the four pillars and rear control arms. Cleaned, sandblasted, and painted everything. New rear bushings and new wheel bearings and seals at all four corners.

Before:
IMG_0693.JPG

After
Wheel pillar rebuilds 25.JPG

Rear control arms.JPG

Next up are the CV joints. Not looking forward to that messy job. :(

Last edited:
Looks sweet Rodger!

Hope you're still around so I can check it out this Friday on my way to the coast to do some fishing.

Where did you get your bearings from? I saw Vick's have them for ~ $27 each. Got my Harbor Freight wheel bearing puller after checking out a recent thread about it here on the forum.

You should keep posting a pick every week or two. It's totally inspirational :)

Yep, I'll be around

Let me know about what time you will be coming by. Look forward to meeting you. I got a set of 4 SKF bearings from a vendor on eBay for like $149. Heck of a deal and the best quality bearings. I think you said you have a '76 you are doing the swap on. You will need to get a pair of the 1500 style rear pillars/hubs in order for the axles from MWB to work as the 1300 style are not the same. For some reason, the rear 1500 bearings are a lot more expensive.

Seats and door cards

I have been slowly working on disassembling the engine and transmission to clean and detail it, as well as replacing seals, etc. Can't really put a dirty engine in my new clean X can I? While I have the transmission apart, I am also putting in an M Factory limited slip differential.

Meanwhile, I was having the seats recovered and had ordered some new door cards from Henk. The seats were done a few weeks ago, and I just got the door cards today so I thought I would share a picture of how they came out. I am pretty pleased. Someday I may actually get to sit in them and drive the car (I hope).
IMG_2015.JPG

Last edited:
very very nice

Love the door cards and seats. Did you use leather outers with that Alacantara you ordered?

Looks like you had the shift boot done too by the upholsterers.

Great to hear about the LSD - my Wavetrac just arrived and I'll be putting it in as I'm waiting for MWB to build my conversion kit. BTW, there is a really excellent site that details putting in a differential on a K20 transmission: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/modp-1003-wavetrac-lsd-installation/

It's for Wavetrac, but applies in general. Good information there.

Keep us posted with updates Rodger! -Darin

Back