K20 swap Australia

hotx19

Daily Driver
IMG_5761.JPEG
hi guys I'm currently welll into my k20 swap in Australia using a Midwest kit that I bought from a failed project
The kit is great I have the motor mounted in the car and Iam working on the fuel system and cooling system
Just wondering what have people done on the exhaust/header side of things?

Thanks
John

Last edited:
I will be getting to that part of my build soon as well. Midwest says to buy a cheap shorty header for a K20, cut the pipes off of the flange, then re-weld them at a steeper angle to clear the rear firewall. The rest of the exhaust is all custom.

thanks roger
I'd like to see what it looks like fabricating the exhaust is not a problem I just don't know if to go the whole hog and build a custom extractor set or what do what Matt has done
Do you have a link too the set they use
Thanks

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 192
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 175
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 184
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 176
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 206
View attachment 12284 hi guys I'm currently welll into my k20 swap in Australia using a Midwest kit that I bought from a failed project
The kit is great I have the motor mounted in the car and Iam working on the fuel system and cooling system
Just wondering what have people done on the exhaust/header side of things?

Thanks
John

It may be the angle of the pic, but it looks like your installation has the engine tilted somewhat to the rear, while most others we've seen the engine seems almost perfectly vertical. Is that an optical "delusion" :) or is that in fact the real angle?

Thanks Roger
I have found a few on eBay
But what is the difference between type s and a non type s they look the same shape to me??
Hi Dan I think it's just the angle I took the photo at the motor sits quite up right
Thanks
John

The Type S has the K20A1/Z1 engine, the non-S is a K20A3. There must be some difference in the exhaust ports as the listings on ebay all specify one or the other. I agree that they look the same but I honestly couldn't tell you what the difference is.

I have a friend who works for Toyota's Racing division in California, unsure of the actual company. He has a friend who is a big K20 guru and asked that guy about the two manifolds.

"He says the A3 is an odd ball. Should be no difference in the ports as the main difference between those engines is the intake cam VTEC." The manifolds should be the same.

I have a friend who works for Toyota's Racing division in California, unsure of the actual company. He has a friend who is a big K20 guru and asked that guy about the two manifolds.

"He says the A3 is an odd ball. Should be no difference in the ports as the main difference between those engines is the intake cam VTEC." The manifolds should be the same.
Good to know. I notice that for the A1 shorty manifolds, the outflow pipe seems to be 3” but in the A3 ones, the outflow is 2.5”. I plan to do a 2.5” exhaust system so maybe the A3 one would be the one to get. I don’t want a loud exhaust on mine. I remember Roobus telling me that the K20A1 really likes a 3” exhaust according to his tuner.

Every time I Hear or See Toyota Racing Development, all I can think of is who approved TRD. I see TuRD every time.

Odie

I did decide to purchase the shorty header for the K20A3 application. It fits on the head perfectly, plus it has a 2.5" outflow which will match up easily with my plan for a 2.5" system.

So I had the same issue on my Uno Turbo. However, I quickly found a turbo is really a very good Rotary muffler, and I was able to run a straight pipe out from it with no problem. Unless I am well over 6k rpm, the noise is well below what would cause the local law to have an issue. Maybe the same could be said for this application? Not only would it help simplify your exhaust build, but you could get a little power out of it as well. Set is at 6psi and enjoy the extra umph... Just a wandering thought.

So I had the same issue on my Uno Turbo. However, I quickly found a turbo is really a very good Rotary muffler, and I was able to run a straight pipe out from it with no problem. Unless I am well over 6k rpm, the noise is well below what would cause the local law to have an issue. Maybe the same could be said for this application? Not only would it help simplify your exhaust build, but you could get a little power out of it as well. Set is at 6psi and enjoy the extra umph... Just a wandering thought.
I'll be happy just to get the stock engine build completed. Adding a turbo to it would probably send me over the edge. :eek:

James (@jlmurphy21) from Denver posted about his custom exhaust here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-k20-project-is-getting-close.30421/

The photos are lost - dunno why. I kept a backup of some of the exhaust ones so i'll reattach them here. James did a complete fab'd header and exhaust. No matter what, you're in for some welding.
James (@jlmurphy21) from Denver posted about his custom exhaust here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-k20-project-is-getting-close.30421/

The photos are lost - dunno why. I kept a backup of some of the exhaust ones so i'll reattach them here. James did a complete fab'd header and exhaust. No matter what, you're in for some welding.
Not hi-jacking (promise since it's relevant to this build thread)

Darin - do you have pics of your header? The biggest challenge with the k20 swap is the exhaust header options. I have built 2 and customized one. The "shorty" headers seem like a good idea, but they leave so much power on the floor, it's worth building a custom header (I think). Thoughts?

Ha! You seem to think I'm further ahead than I am Tim! My shell is just now ready to go into the body shop for blasting and painting, so the header is somewhat behind.

I did learn tig welding and will do up my own SS header. Maybe when the chassis is in the shop, I'll build that using a mockup of the engine-bay and exhaust area on a stand for clearance. I do have a parts car that I can cut out the engine bay and exhaust area and do it all up on a stand...

Back