Knocking Suspension 2012 500S 50K miles

lookforjoe

True Classic
Hoping someone on here has some experience with this.

My wife's 2012 500S has had light rattle/knock noises in the rear since we bought 6 years ago. Have not found anything worn that would indicate the source. It seemed like the spare wheel mounted under the rear was causing it, but I checked that & no movement or rub marks evident.

There is also now a knock/pop from the r/f over potholes/ road heaves.

Looking online, ppl seem focused on the bump stops and maybe front end links as the culprit - however the ones that said they replaced them also said the noise was still there - which to me says that wasn't the cause.

Any thoughts or personal experience?

Not going to take anything apart until the weather gets much nicer out - this is how it looks now.

151141978_10219539931113704_7864540263530659421_o.jpg

Our 2012 had badly worn out upper rear shock bushings. They weren’t noisy but they did cause a poor ride over small road imperfections. If they got really bad I suppose they could have gotten noisy.

Brian

Our 2012 had badly worn out upper rear shock bushings. They weren’t noisy but they did cause a poor ride over small road imperfections. If they got really bad I suppose they could have gotten noisy.

Brian

Thanks Brian - ride quality is good - just annoying rattle in the rear. I'll have to look closer at the shocks - they don't sell just bushings, so I'd have to do the shocks if that's the deal .

Can't help in the rear suspension, but the noise in the front is probably the ball joint stabilizer bar links. If you can get them in a neutral position you can grab them and feel/hear the rattle in the ball joints in the link. If there is tension on them you can't hear anything unless they are really bad.
I'd still check other bits of the front suspension just in case it's something more serious than the sway bar link.

Brian

Wondering about replacement rear shocks. The upper rear bushings are now cracked, and one bump stop broke off it's insertion nipple.

Not seeing much aftermarket available. Found these Koni's on TireRack (haven't investigated further on them yet) Not sure I want to buy OEM since they don't hold up that well (I'm comparing to build quality of Volvo original parts, so may not be fair).

Any suggestions?

screenshot-www.tirerack.com-2022.05.11-12_05_36.png

Back