Lancia scorpion #632

Brakes - Midwest Bayless Whoa! Brakes
Coilovers - Midwest Bayless Yellow Koni
All my hoses need replaced - Depends, if retaining twincam there are less if you do internal thermostat
Transmission linkages- I got 2 sets of the bushings from Midwest Bayless last summer
New radiator and more modern fans for it - Midwest Bayless or Vick's. Same as X19. Aluminum.
Good to know about insurance, I use hagerty currently and they've been good so far but once the lancia is road worthy I'll look into other options. Looks like I'll have to check out midwest bayless and make a decent size order. Are the koni close to the montecarlo height? And how do they compare to say something like bc coil-overs? Since bc will do a custom coil-over I've considered looking into their options. Thanks for the feedback!

Good to know about insurance, I use hagerty currently and they've been good so far but once the lancia is road worthy I'll look into other options. Looks like I'll have to check out midwest bayless and make a decent size order. Are the koni close to the montecarlo height? And how do they compare to say something like bc coil-overs?
They are coilovers. You can adjust ride height.
26ED4364-E42B-42D7-B29A-EAFEB3E727B7.jpeg

Link to description

Says adjustable from stock to lower (as opposed to sets which can also raise for gravel rally). I would choose the Koni over BC everytime.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the MWB Konis use shocks that are designed for racing applications and springs that are dramatically stiffer than stock (these can be changed, but may require the shocks to be re-tuned for a lighter spring rate). I'm sure they are of very high quality, but you may find them too much for a street car on imperfect roads. This is all highly personal with regard to how stiff you're willing to go and the road quality in your area. Unfortunately, there's no good way to see if they'll work for you before you buy. Would be cool if they had a "demo" set so you could try before you buy.

I insure my Scorpion with Hagerty and have been happy with them. Agreed value is set at $20k and I think I'm paying a few hundred a year (with a clean driving record and the car being kept in a locked garage). Hagerty definitely allows you to actually use your car regularly, but won't insure a daily driver. I believe they offer reduced rates on cars undergoing restoration.

Keep in mind the MWB Konis use shocks that are designed for racing applications and springs that are dramatically stiffer than stock (these can be changed, but may require the shocks to be re-tuned for a lighter spring rate). I'm sure they are of very high quality, but you may find them too much for a street car on imperfect roads. This is all highly personal with regard to how stiff you're willing to go and the road quality in your area. Unfortunately, there's no good way to see if they'll work for you before you buy. Would be cool if they had a "demo" set so you could try before you buy.

I insure my Scorpion with Hagerty and have been happy with them. Agreed value is set at $20k and I think I'm paying a few hundred a year (with a clean driving record and the car being kept in a locked garage). Hagerty definitely allows you to actually use your car regularly, but won't insure a daily driver. I believe they offer reduced rates on cars undergoing restoration.
All great info to know! Would you reccomend the double or single adjustable version? I'll have to talk to them, I'm guessing I'll try and insure mine for around the same amount. Thanks for the added input!

I can't recommend either because while I haven't used them, I think they will both be too stiff for the road.

I can't recommend either because while I haven't used them, I think they will both be too stiff for the road.
MWB description is pretty thorough and states is for street application yet offers options for spring rates. Never set an adjustable suspension to the firmest setting unless you hate your kidneys. Set them to softer setting and I bet these would be fine for the roads you'd want to be driving on.

"Lancia Scorpion and Montecarlo, for street or competition use.
They feature rugged professional-series KONI 8611 double-adjustable inserts.
Give your car an ultimately adjustable suspension.

With this package you can run any spring rate up to 800lb / inch, and achieve any desired ride-height from stock, to race-car low. Even better, you can also adjust your camber using built in, slotted upper bolt holes. No more fumbling around with awkward and hard-to-adjust camber bolts!

And they include roller bearing steering pivots for the front struts at no extra charge.
The strut housings are custom fabricated from laser cut components and the highest quality DOM steel tubing, 100% tig welded and assembled in the USA.

The struts inside the housings are KONI 8611-1257 double-adjustable inserts that allow precision adjustment of rebound and compression damping through a simple turn of the upper (rebound) and lower (compression) adjusters. No disassembly required!
All "single-adjustable" struts allow rebound damping to be modified to match the exact spring rate that is used.
A double adjustable strut also allows control of compression damping, which in most simple terms, is an adjustment that can add to the effect of spring resistance at a corner, which is required for quick and fine chassis adjustments in competition applications.

Threaded aluminum coil over sleeves allow the use of any 2.5" diameter "coil over" spring in 6, 7, or 8" length.
This set is fitted with 200 lb/inch, 7" long springs for the front, and 300 lb/inch, 8" long springs, a perfect compliment for street application with a high horsepower engine.
If you wish to use something other than the springs as supplied, please call or email us prior to ordering. We will offer the strut set minus springs, and subtract $150 from your order."

Another possible option link.

GAZ

But I my opinion about what is a rough ride may be little warped.

C99D53A3-B3F0-4798-B0E5-E170E235213B.jpeg29953B23-6B00-4E7F-B7F8-DD256132CC11.jpeg06445929-F987-4DEA-9D1A-FC806EFDE810.jpeg795AFC4E-0D81-400B-B5E4-AB2A264CF74D.jpeg39404282-427D-497C-A3DF-390F3182308D.jpeg

Last edited:
Most of our vendors know that sporty car folks tend to equate stiffer with faster, for better or worse. They simply supply the demand. Stiffer works well on the track, not so much on the imperfect roads found in most of the U.S.

I'm sure there's a happy middle ground between race-spec dampers and 200-lb-plus spring rates and the squishy Scorpion suspension. I'm currently using X1/9 struts and sport springs in my car. My car is compliant over bumps -- it doesn't bounce along imperfect roads, it absorbs.

But, yes, acceptable firmness will be different depending on who you ask. Some people like race-style suspension on the street, but I don't. Took me messing with suspension on several cars before I realized that.

Most of our vendors know that sporty car folks tend to equate stiffer with faster, for better or worse. They simply supply the demand. Stiffer works well on the track, not so much on the imperfect roads found in most of the U.S.

I'm sure there's a happy middle ground between race-spec dampers and 200-lb-plus spring rates and the squishy Scorpion suspension. I'm currently using X1/9 struts and sport springs in my car. My car is compliant over bumps -- it doesn't bounce along imperfect roads, it absorbs.
Without 2 way adjustable and being able to adjust rebound. Having those settings is much better than one way struts to keep planted over bumps. Without them landing jumps I have would have bounced off the road. But having rebound adjustment is great for bumps also. Adjustable coil overs combined with spring rate for the roads and style you'll be driving is optimal and can be adjusted when those change.

Another advantage is being narrower springs/perch allows space to not have to offset or wheel space rear wheels to fit.

Having said that, the Scorpion I still have is on the red Koni struts and Montecarlo springs becuz that is what was available way back when I built it and haven't needed replacement.

Without 2 way adjustable and being able to adjust rebound. Having those settings is much better than one way struts to keep planted over bumps. Without them landing jumps I have would have bounced off the road. But having rebound adjustment is great for bumps also. Adjustable coil overs combined with spring rate for the roads and style you'll be driving is optimal and can be adjusted when those change.

Another advantage is being narrower springs/perch allows space to not have to offset or wheel space rear wheels to fit.

Having said that, the Scorpion I still have is on the red Koni struts and Montecarlo springs becuz that is what was available way back when I built it and haven't needed replacement.
I like that most coilover options are narrower -- that is a nice benefit.

What I don't understand is how any damper (even if it has some adjustability) would work well with a 200 to 800 lb/in spring without completely re-valving. That seems like a huge range to me.

Back