Lancia Scorpion Opel GT Tail Light Install

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Yet another Scorpion how-to. At least I'm not as long-winded in this one... I basically just put captions under the pix.

DSCF0043.jpg

I made this basic template out of some .093 plexiglass from home depot. I used it to get a rough idea of where the lights would go.
DSCF0034.jpg

The real templates are made of thicker .220 plexiglass. I also had to created "humps" around the lights to keep the holes from totally bisecting the template.
DSCF0039.jpg

The panel was fitted into place after tweaking the shape a bunch with a belt sander.
DSCF0038.jpg

Using smaller scraps of plexi, I built a border that would fit inside the original template (which had no humps).
DSCF0040.jpg

Here is a test fit of the thicker templates into the housing.
DSCF0042.jpg

This shows the back, with the "inset" pieces superglued on. I used some indoor/outdoor primer and paint to paint the templates flat black.
DSCF0041.jpg

Front of same panel.
DSCF0025.jpg

These brackets mount the Opel light units, and provide studs on the back for mounting to the Scorpion. I will probably redo them in Aluminum.
DSCF0026.jpg

This shows how the brackets mount the light cans. Note that the other side is NOT mirror image.
DSCF0035.jpg

This shot shows how the pieces assemble.
DSCF0037.jpg

Front view.
DSCF0028.jpg

The rear valance did requite some cutting to make the cans sit down in them.
DSCF0030.jpg

Side by side comparison.
DSCF0071.jpg

The final product at it’s debut at the Vick Autosport open house, 3/27/2010.

Another nice pictorial...

I may do something similar, as it appears my tail lights are crap; cracked and one was holding water.

It looks like X1/9 tail lights would be a good fit. Anyone try this that you know of?

What I like about the Scorpion is there is a fair amount of customization that people are comfortable doing. It seems like every car is different. :eek:mg:

X1/9 taillights are not an easy swap...

It looks like X1/9 tail lights would be a good fit. Anyone try this that you know of?

I don't know anyone that's tried it, but I compared them and they are different shapes, constucted differently, retained differently, etc.

Scorpion taillights in working shape shouldn't be too hard to find. If you want my old ones, PM me.

Pete

Back