Late Model (Thru-Glass) Door Mirror Question

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Does anyone have any pix or info on how the late model thru the glass door mirrors are put together?

I'm seeing vibration in the driver's side mirror and tapping the mirror glass demonstrates the glass seems like it's not securely fastened to whatever is behind it.

Advice greatly appreciated.:thumbsup::)

Not to worry Dan

The glass will fall out shortly and then you will be able to see what used to be holding it in! ;)

There looks to be two screws on the bottom that may be holding the mirror mount into the black plastic frame. I didn't pull them to find out. I will let you experiment with those screws and report back. :)

The glass is attached to an aluminum plate with double sided tape. The plate pivots in its mount when manipulated by three wires controlled be the inside knob.

Does anyone have any pix or info on how the late model thru the glass door mirrors are put together?

I'm seeing vibration in the driver's side mirror and tapping the mirror glass demonstrates the glass seems like it's not securely fastened to whatever is behind it.

Advice greatly appreciated.:thumbsup::)

Mark, do the two screws hold that mechanism in?

The glass is attached to an aluminum plate with double sided tape. The plate pivots in its mount when manipulated by three wires controlled be the inside knob.

Mark, do the two screws on the bottom of the shell hold that pivoting plate mechanism in place? I guess I am asking if removing the two screws is the way to gain access to the mechanism?

Yes, the pivot is secured by the two screws. However, the length of the three wires will limit how far it can be removed from the mirror housing unless the wires are disconnected from the inside adjustment knob.

Mark, do the two screws on the bottom of the shell hold that pivoting plate mechanism in place? I guess I am asking if removing the two screws is the way to gain access to the mechanism?

Thanks Mark

Yes, the pivot is secured by the two screws. However, the length of the three wires will limit how far it can be removed from the mirror housing unless the wires are disconnected from the inside adjustment knob.

Another mystery solved... without the need for me to pull the two screws to see what would happen!!! :)

May be that help

Some pictures when i redone my exterior mirrors

DzXjFZm.jpg

0zKZnpy.jpg

bpzRoZY.jpg

phleio3.jpg

HDjJaPW.jpg

Zxpihvt.jpg

Last edited:
Yves beat me to it. I had a very similar experience. The PO on my X had glued a plastic mirror to the cracked original. It was binding and looked bad. I removed everything and had a new mirror made. I think I have several disassembly photos if you need more.

Paint Prep

Yves,

What did you do to prepare the exterior of the mirror for paint? Yours looks great, and I need to re-do mine.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks

Thank you, Yves.

The verbal description in the thread you provided a link to really told me what I need. I'm looking forward to 'refreshing' them.

Best regards,

Brian

Out of curiosity, has anyone put aspheric plates in their mirror housings? I've retrofit them to two of my previous (non-x1/9) cars, and they make a huge difference in visibility.

Back