Late X19 rear strut for the 128 front compatability

Late model X rear struts in a pinch can work, I was running them on the front of my wagon, the original style oil shocks work better then KYB.
You have to slice a dice the top pieces a little and the car sits a little higher then with early X setup.

Chris
Oakland ,Ca.

Late model X rear struts in a pinch can work, I was running them on the front of my wagon, the original style oil shocks work better then KYB.
You have to slice a dice the top pieces a little and the car sits a little higher then with early X setup.

Chris
Oakland ,Ca.

Chris can you elaborate a bit more on this,andmif pics available better then.
I already got me a set of NOS early X struts that luckily found.But interested in the late strut trick.......thanks!!

The late struts are only if you can't find early ones. The late bolt up but the aluminum spacer that rides on the rubber mount should be shortened about 3/16" to make sure the top nut has enough threads to seat. If you look at the bottom of an early vs late strut you can see the lower bolt bracket is canted downward to get a little more ride height.

Got to work on the 128 today and brought over my recently bought "NOS early X rear struts" to mount them on the front .Well,seems like they are not the early type cause piston size is bigger than those on my 128 meaning all top strut misc parts(bearing,alum conical etc) wont fit.
Am I right assuming they are late type cause the piston size is bigger?...also the struts are not of the rebuildable type.Were all early X and 128 struts rebuildable ? meaning that you can swap the cartridge?
So if all of the above check right then seems I got a set of late type struts. Bummer cause thought I hit the holy grail with them and was planning on lowering the car on all 4 corners this week.
So was thinking in couple of options that I may have;
1) I have access to a set of Yugo rear struts in good condition,but piston housing is like 2" longer than the one from the early X.Can I mount the early X 7 coil springs on them?.....my guess is they are going to bottom out easier cause to of the 2" difference.
2) or am I better just fitting the early x 7 coil springs on the stock 128 front struts?
3) I also have access to a set of early X rear struts but insert are shot.And finding these inserts were kind of impossible to find couple months ago.
All this as a temporary fix until I can get a real authentic set of X early rear struts or inserts then. I know Steve C mentioned hes got like 60 of them seating in Australia for which shipping can be a deal breaker.
Lmk ......thanks in advance guys!!

Got to work on the 128 today and brought over my recently bought "NOS early X rear struts" to mount them on the front .Well,seems like they are not the early type cause piston size is bigger than those on my 128 meaning all top strut misc parts(bearing,alum conical etc) wont fit.
Am I right assuming they are late type cause the piston size is bigger?...also the struts are not of the rebuildable type.Were all early X and 128 struts rebuildable ? meaning that you can swap the cartridge?
So if all of the above check right then seems I got a set of late type struts. Bummer cause thought I hit the holy grail with them and was planning on lowering the car on all 4 corners this week.
So was thinking in couple of options that I may have;
1) I have access to a set of Yugo rear struts in good condition,but piston housing is like 2" longer than the one from the early X.Can I mount the early X 7 coil springs on them?.....my guess is they are going to bottom out easier cause to of the 2" difference.
2) or am I better just fitting the early x 7 coil springs on the stock 128 front struts?
3) I also have access to a set of early X rear struts but insert are shot.And finding these inserts were kind of impossible to find couple months ago.
All this as a temporary fix until I can get a real authentic set of X early rear struts or inserts then. I know Steve C mentioned hes got like 60 of them seating in Australia for which shipping can be a deal breaker.
Lmk ......thanks in advance guys!!

Any advice/help?.....thanks

So we got 10 coils in USA!!!....OMG,....why?:sigh:....
that's a great picture!! and im saving it for future references.Now let see whos got 128SL 7 coil springs laying around.Thanks much!!!
Any luck finding the 7 coil springs?
Would these do the same thing or is the compression rate known to be different enough to not allow the drop?
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=192882&i=250928112

My counting could be off, but those look to be 7 coils.

Back