Latest Project (#2)

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
I know some folks do and some do not belong to the FB SOXW Group. For those who don't bother, I wanted to share my latest 2nd project.

Some months back I bought a members black 74 with the intention of a future K20 swap. However some things happened that led me to start the project sooner. The main one being an engine and other parts that fell into my lap for almost nothing. I figured since I am doing work on one to prep it for an engine swap, why not 2? (stopping at 2!!)

This car has a Dallara body kit on it with a decent paint job and needs some love here, but perfect for a swap. BTW - took out a PBS engine and 4 speed transaxle so those parts may come up for sale...More on that later.

Here is the car:
dallara.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Almost a crate engine, I guess you call it a "pallet" engine.

IMG_0324.jpg

Cut and engine fitted - I guess I am getting good at this. Fit first time with perfect clearance.
IMG_0356.jpg

This car WILL get the all motor build k24/k20 engine + electric water pump as it will fit much better with far less work to the engine bay, no need for secondary heat exchanger (for super charger, etc.,) I can keep everything else pretty much stock but get a ton of power too. I will weld in the rest of the metal next time I get to the car. It's about 135 miles from me, so it's weekends and holidays or "sick" days ;) when I can wrench on it.

I will keep everyone posted or see updates on fiatmonkey.com

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 156
Tim, that looks like it was a nicely built car...excellent starter for one of your conversions. I like the wheels (another pic?), and are those Recaro "net" headrest seats? For those of us that aren't familiar with Hondas, what is a K24/K20 build?

Really nice 1974 with a lot of work and modifications by the PO. It's been a long time I haven't seen that orange full length lens in the back. I also had a whale tail like this on m 1974 when I was a kid.

I really hope you will find time to paint the engine bay before fitting the Honda engine. Great project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Darin. I'll take more torque over high rev's anytime (for a street car).

Gotta say Tim, it seems any engine transplant of this type would not need boost for such a light car. Getting traction/finding grip would be a challenge. But I know you've done it both ways so you're experienced with the pros/cons. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Really nice 1974 with a lot of work and modification by the PO. It's been a long time I haven't seen that orange full length lens in the back. I also had a whale tail like this on m 1974 when I was a kid.

I really hope you will find time to paint the engine bay before fitting the Honda engine. Great project!
Oh yah...PO had lined the entire engine bay with a dynamat material that was a nightmare to remove. There is a little residue left, but the engine bay will get painted. No doubt about it.

Another great build. I clearly need to try harder.

Great to see and thank you for brining us along.

This car WILL get the all motor build k24/k20 engine + electric water pump

Great project and great starting point. looking forward to seeing more updates. If you have not sourced an electric water pump, I have one sitting on the shelf I have been meaning to eBay. NIB, never installed. Project changed direction so it was never used. Taken out of the box, looked at, put back in. Pretty sure this is the unit I have, I will double check. Only mine is finished in silver.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I also have a very little-used electric pump suitable for water intercooling. Used to for a cooling experiment on my X1/9, then pulled it back off. PM me if interested in either of these items.

Pete

Pete, I like that "EMP" pump over the "Davies Craig" style for use on a X. Seems like it would be much easier to integrate into the system.

Great project and great starting point. looking forward to seeing more updates. If you have not sourced an electric water pump, I have one sitting on the shelf I have been meaning to eBay. NIB, never installed. Project changed direction so it was never used. Taken out of the box, looked at, put back in. Pretty sure this is the unit I have, I will double check. Only mine is finished in silver.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I also have a very little-used electric pump suitable for water intercooling. Used to for a cooling experiment on my X1/9, then pulled it back off. PM me if interested in either of these items.

Pete
I will PM you on the EMP, might be a better option than I was planning to go.

Reactions: Tas
Neat looking "access panel". And some very nice welds. There really is quite a lot of work to "bolting in" a engine swap isn't there. Great work, thanks for sharing.

It’s a thing of beauty :)

What’s the lower passage (below stock opening) in the center for, revised shifter mechanism? Power /ground cables ? Do you revise the water tube I/O at the rear for the K20, or make the hoses work with stock configuration?

Thanks!
Thats an opening that is hidden normally but reveal when you open up the lower channel. I use for heater core and shifter cable lines.

Neat looking "access panel". And some very nice welds. There really is quite a lot of work to "bolting in" a engine swap isn't there. Great work, thanks for sharing.
Never said it was a bolt in but in my case, I try to be prepared for easiest maintanence and future upgrades

Back