Latest X19 Project...

The shop has everything so I feel like a kid in a candy store :) I do what I can then hand the rest of the work to my buddy who owns the shop where it is. I was going up today but weather is not so good next couple of days so going to go up next week then off to willow-springs next weekend.

Thanks for the compliments BTW - I have some cool stuff planned for the custom radiator and under car rad line setup. I will have pics of that soon...

Been a while since I have posted on this car project - The latest on this one

The frunk modifications are close - moved the stock rad up

IMG_0328-1200x900.jpg

The space where the fuel tank was is getting filled with some things, including a large intercooler:

IMG_16701-e1523716550446-1200x900.jpg

I since added the "tub" to evacuate air through the frunk lid, but I didn't like how it turned out so a re-do is coming. Most of my time has been spent on the black car lately.

Nice, as always.
Was moving the rad up to allow for a second rad, to cool the water-to-air intercooler?
Fuel tank going in the front trunk also?

Been a while since I have posted on this car project - The latest on this one

The frunk modifications are close - moved the stock rad up

IMG_0328-1200x900.jpg

The space where the fuel tank was is getting filled with some things, including a large intercooler:
I since added the "tub" to evacuate air through the frunk lid, but I didn't like how it turned out so a re-do is coming. Most of my time has been spent on the black car lately.

Looks great!
Whats the purpose of the insert above? How do the hoses attach? I'm assuming the tabs are for the two fans?

Last edited:
Looks great!
Whats the purpose of the insert above? How do the hoses attach? I'm assuming the tabs are for the two fans?

I think you are seeing the back of the actual aluminum radiator with a piece of cardboard to protect the fins. The cold return from the radiator is visible in the far corner next to the frame rail, the path for the hot supply isn’t clear what the path would be.

One wonders if the radiator was flipped inside to outside could the hoses run under the car to the existing hard lines? This would be easier if the two hard line’s use are also flipped, return on the right supply to the left side. The fans could still be pullers on the side shown using the AC studs as a means of mounting a custom shroud to mate with the openings in the hood.

Doing it this way would remove some of the hose mess in the compartment and might be a little easier to service down the road. The radiator doesn’t care which way its facing as long as the orientation keeps the return below the supply.

Looking at this idea again, one would likely want to go with an alternate radiator with straight stubs, perhaps a Scirocco unit or similar from another car?

Sorry for the idle thoughts. I am sure there are all manner of interconnected decisions that are leading you to this solution.

The perforated panel above the radiator housing isn’t clear as to its function. Thus your question :)

I am curious about the two circular stubs you can see at the floor at the bottom of the radiator dog house.

In any case it looks great with excellent craftsmanship. Thank you for bringing us along.

I think you are seeing the back of the actual aluminum radiator with a piece of cardboard to protect the fins. The cold return from the radiator is visible in the far corner next to the frame rail, the path for the hot supply isn’t clear what the path would be.

One wonders if the radiator was flipped inside to outside could the hoses run under the car to the existing hard lines? This would be easier if the two hard line’s use are also flipped, return on the right supply to the left side. The fans could still be pullers on the side shown using the AC studs as a means of mounting a custom shroud to mate with the openings in the hood.

Doing it this way would remove some of the hose mess in the compartment and might be a little easier to service down the road. The radiator doesn’t care which way its facing as long as the orientation keeps the return below the supply.

Looking at this idea again, one would likely want to go with an alternate radiator with straight stubs, perhaps a Scirocco unit or similar from another car?

Sorry for the idle thoughts. I am sure there are all manner of interconnected decisions that are leading you to this solution.

The perforated panel above the radiator housing isn’t clear as to its function. Thus your question :)

I am curious about the two circular stubs you can see at the floor at the bottom of the radiator dog house.

In any case it looks great with excellent craftsmanship. Thank you for bringing us along.

The holes thru the tub are much smaller than look and are mounting points for the radiator as it tilts way forward. They make it a quick in/out. The upper "strip" with the holes was my brothers handy work and he tried to slip it in when I wasn't looking. he has never been happy with the rigidity of the nose section. With vented hood, the car will never be able to store a normal top in the frunk anyway.

All good questions BTW...

All great ideas and I tried some of them. The problem I was facing is space needed for a heat exchanger for the intercooler. It's pretty large and hoses get in the way and eat up space if I reverse the position of the radiator...

Back