Leaking Antifreeze

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Went to check the electrical system and Gary noticed a liquid dripping under the X1/9. I looked a little deeper and there is a antifreeze coming from somewhere from the back of the engine near the water pump. I have not had the time to dig deeper. I hope it isn’t the head gasket or head. That would just be a kick in the family gems.
This is what I needed, electrical issues with a side of antifreeze. All that is missing is the cherry... :)

Concerning the electrical issue. I decided to just change out the alternator. It is after all original from 1986. I am currently unable to find one for a 1986 1500 with A/C. But then again I have not really looked except for a few times on MWB. I will keep looking. Maybe, since it is the original I might just try to find a rebuild shop nearby. I don’t know right now. Too much happening in life at the moment to dedicate the needed time
Also, I feel bad that I have not been able to say hello to the great folks here as much as I should. I will try to do better.
I will post more shortly as I dig into the issues or just to say hello.
Mike

More to do... probably next week before I can get to all the stuff I need to do.
EricH, didn’t think about the tensioner pulley bolt. That and I really hope it isn’t a cracked block/head either.
If anyone is coming out for a vacation just let me know. :)
Mike

Did some looking and found out the leak is coming from a metal angled hose. Either the fitting is not tight enough on the head (I believe it went into the head) or the washer needs to be replaced. Going to dig deeper and check the torque setting in a little while.
Glad it wasn’t anything that serous.
Mike

Did some looking and found out the leak is coming from a metal angled hose. Either the fitting is not tight enough on the head (I believe it went into the head) or the washer needs to be replaced. Going to dig deeper and check the torque setting in a little while.
Glad it wasn’t anything that serous.
Mike
Sounds like the heater tube.

Sounds like the heater tube.
JimD,
Yep, that is it, the heater tube. Didn’t leak until I got all the air out and then like a breaching whale... THERE IT FLOWS!!! I guess I got proper pressure for a second there.
Going to tear it out when I get the chance and see what happened. Maybe I didn’t torque it down like I thought I did. Recruit don’t know but MWB has one if I need to change it out.
Mike

Re-torqued down the metal hose and everything seem fine.
Going to drive it tomorrow for about an hours so I will find out if it will still leak.
Mike

Easy to pressure test the system if you're willing to spend a few bucks at harbor freight. They'll sell you a kit which is basically a hand pump with a check valve, and adaptors for just about every imaginable radiator cap. Pump the system up to a few PSI, look for leaks.

But yes, if you have a chance to drive it...... That's always the right answer.

Back