Leaking expansion tank - fix?

Attila

True Classic
My '86 has developed a leak in the coolant expansion tank. It's in the "hole" that holds the 2 halves together. Now is not the time for me to replace this, so I'm wondering if filling the hole with epoxy would work. Anyone have any experience with this - or a similar fix?

20200516_093758.jpg

Given the material the tank is made from it is unlikely to work well.

Perhaps a request for a used one in the for sale section would elicit something inexpensive and meet your needs for the immediate future.

I agree with Karl. Nothing sticks to this plastic. Some have 'melted' small cracks to reseal them. But I'd view even that as a temporary repair at best. And it looks like yours may be in a spot that you wouldn't be able to do that. Given the potential for expensive damage if the engine overheats, I'd suggest either replacing the tank or parking the car until you can.

My '86 has developed a leak in the coolant expansion tank. It's in the "hole" that holds the 2 halves together. Now is not the time for me to replace this, so I'm wondering if filling the hole with epoxy would work. Anyone have any experience with this - or a similar fix?

View attachment 32132
As Karl said, the plastic used in the reservoir will not play well with most epoxies. 3M makes an epoxy particularly for these types of plastics (Scotch-Weld DP8005), but at $45 / pack you'd be better off sourcing a replacement reservoir.

I just bought a new stainless steel one from Henk in Holland. My plastic one did not leak---yet.

I have a used stainless expansion tank that I would be willing to part with. Not sure what the going price is for one, but I'm sure somebody here could give some insight.

Warren, the last ones sold thru this had asking prices of $100 and $150 respectively. Plastic ones are cheaper but some think they will eventually fail, like yours. I'm still running the original plastic one on my 1987 car with no troubles.

Last edited:
I think I have a plastic one in a box that I would send for the price of shipping but if Warren has a stainless you should go for that. If you want one for a spare let me know. I'd have to look to be 100% certain though

My tank had a leak inside that simple, as well. Removed, emptied, dried and cleaned the tank. Inside and outside. I then roughed up the surface inside the dimple. Filled dimple with JBweld quick set, level to the tank body.
No leaks!

It might be worth trying to repair it. Heck, I've seen someone put a bolt through the center so that it would help keep the thing together. You could put a threaded rod through, with large fender washers - clean/prep the plastic beforehand and fill those areas with LOTS of JB weld.. might work! hehe.. and then again, it might not :(

Risks are limited. It's just an overflow tank and the bottom half of the tank will remain full if needed because the leak is in the middle.

Back