Leaking Heater Control Valve

TonyK

True Classic
I still am working on Bob Martin's car, managed to start it today. More on that latter. The issue is that the A/C heater control valve is leaking at the plunger. I think someone had a replacement, not OEM but close that will work. Looking for that thread and information to correct the problem on Bob's car.

Many thanks.

TonyK.

Thanks, here's to hoping I can do this in place without having to take the dash and heater matrix back out. I am getting pressed for time with the work load starting to build on my son's house build.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

The Ranco Ferrari 308 valve is the best match for the stock AC heater valve. Not exact but workable with mods.
ranco_replacement.jpg

Thanks Larry, didn't see one on ebay, but the prices are up there for similar.

I kind of want to get this resolved in short order, have a lot on my plate.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I used a typical plastic 90° valve. The hardest part of it was to undo the two screws on the original valve from the bracket on the heater box. Besides that it was easy to modify the valve’s bracket to use the existing Fiat control wire.

FYI, my ‘87s original OE valve body was plastic not brass/metal. The only metal parts were the push rod, the piston rocker arm and the bracketry to hold the wire. The base design was the same as the brass ones.

No Stock in Canada Four Seasons 74004.

I am asking Bob Martin to look at Auto Zone in Kentucky.

Just looking at this installation mounting the valve really isn't required. Just the control cable needs to be mounted to the valve body.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Four Seasons 74641 is the same as the plastic valve I used. There are multiple variations of valve/bracket combinations around but they all use the same plastic valve.

There is also 74004 which is a similar valve. There is 74850 which comes with a bracket.

You would need to make your own bracket but I suspect that falls well within your wheel house.

Last edited:
Well I took another approach to the problem. I just let the control valve hang on the hoses behind the heater box. I also heated the end of the wire inner cable and bent a circle to attach it to the new heater valve control lever. I should also say that I did not remove the heater box, but rather did this in place.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

DSC00785.JPG
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00787.JPG
DSC00789.JPG
DSC00791.JPG

Last edited:
Back