Leaky battery chemistry question

ej22tgc8

Low Mileage
*Edit. I've just realized this should have been in the NFC forum.

I replaced a battery today and although it wasn't in the x, it was in the x hauler.

I've seen the blue oxidation before, but the mystery is the yellow paste on the positive terminal. It was extremely acrid. In all my years I've never seen anything like it.

Ideas?
IMG_20200701_090836.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure the Ford Factory in St Paul (or maybe Edison) was dropping AGMs into trucks back in 2008. Hence the strange corrosion. :p

Use these felt pads and then you're good to go (some are red & green). The fumes that escape the battery by the posts cause this corrosion, and perhaps the terminals on the positive side have a plating that caused the yellow (or the fact that the red insulator makes things worse?!? - I'm just speculating). Not an issue on AGM batteries of course (I have an AGM in my X1/9).

Interestingly, I've never had this issue with Delco batteries in my daily driver (top post).

1593703214751.png

I clean my posts periodically and use dielectric grease on the posts, the local area on the battery and the clamps. I don’t get this on my cars.

I wonder it this is partially a result of deep discharge and recharging cycles and thus the fumes.

I got some felt pads at AutoZone that not only go around the terminal but have a flap that goes up and over the clamp to surround the entire assembly. They have been on about 18 months and everything still looks new.

Back