Let's destroy two X1/9s

I would be seriously pissed if I had to give up both cars, there are some really nice parts on them. I'm not going to start a dialogue with her insurance till they look at the cars and tell me what they plan to do.
I know laws could be different from states to states, and even more from other countries (Canada), but here, when one of my car was totaled and I wanted to buy it back, I was told the only way to get it was go to the auction and win it.

Many insurance companies in the US will ask if you want to buy it before sending to auction. Going to auction is no guarantee that the car will garner more money.

The buyer may pay more than what they want, but get what they know. I think Jeff regretted letting his go, I know I regretted him letting his go as I wanted to strip it down for parts. Not many X’s sell hereabouts...

It turns out sentimental value is much more telling than monetary value. Good luck with whatever your next choices are.

So sorry for your bad luck, Carl. I hope it all turns out in your favor in the end. You have your heart and head in the right place, checking on the safety and condition of the other people before your cars.

If there was a no buy back situation for me I think I would stall for them to come get them till I cherry pick my Konis, Seats, motors, trans, radiators, etc etc.

Trooper, thanks for your comments, I'm not a hero by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think any of you would have acted differently.

If that Toyota would have caught on fire I would have been devastated as I would not have been able to pull those two ladies out of the car.

I would be seriously pissed if I had to give up both cars, there are some really nice parts on them. I'm not going to start a dialogue with her insurance till they look at the cars and tell me what they plan to do.
I hope you get what you want from the insurance company, it would be a lot easier if you get enough that you could just walk away happy. When a car transporter damaged one of my cars I gave the insurance guy a list of suppliers that could be used to get accurate cost to replace figures. It worked out well for me. The more help you can give them (BAT sales, knowledgeable folks to talk to, etc.) the more likely that you'll get good results. Remember, putting a value on your loss is going to be very, very difficult for the insurance company. Yours is a very unusual situation and I doubt any adjuster is going to be able to "look-up" the value of your loss. If they seem to be unreasonable be prepared with facts to support your side of the story. You might be surprised, after all they are going to spend WAY more to replace that Toyota. It's just that it's easy for them to replace that car, they probably deal with hundreds of those a month. Not so much for Fiat X1/9s.

I totally agree with Mike, the more you do their job for them the better your result will be. Back when I did the consulting job for State Farm, I realized that claim adjusters are over worked and under paid. They just want to clear each claim off their desk as quickly and easily as possible. Most of them know nothing about cars in general, especially not oddball ones. If you present them with enough paperwork outlining all of the parts, rework, condition, benefits of YOUR cars right up front (before they have time to start doing it themselves), the more likely they will just use whatever you give them and be done with it. Essentially you are selling it to them. So like Mike said, make it all look complete and professional (even if it isn't). And don't be afraid to upsell it. That way they can pass it along with their paperwork when the check stub goes to their boss's office. By the way, none of this has anything to do with your agent. Insurance agents are just the salesperson, they have zero relation to the claims department or any other function in the company. So regardless of how nice your agent is, he can't help you here. Claim adjusters sit in cubicles in big office buildings and deal with idiots and paperwork all day long. Their job is to save the company money, so your battle is with them.

I know laws could be different from states to states, and even more from other countries (Canada), but here, when one of my car was totaled and I wanted to buy it back, I was told the only way to get it was go to the auction and win it.

I like the laws here.
Right before christmas my daily one was totaled. I got avarage market value for it (4x times more than it was worth maybe before), and also they (inscurence company) don't have any rights to arrogate my property, but as it is totaled, I have rights to sell it to them for price they have valued remains.

Sorry to see, Carl, that they Your cars are damaged.

All is good here. There was not even any title work, just a fat check based on value minus scrap value since I wanted to keep them. If anyone wanted to fix them and put them back on the street there would be no title indication of any problems although a Carfax search (anyone do that before buying an ol Fiats?) would probably indicated otherwise.

The red one will head to the crusher after I finish stripping it, the white one is for sale as is or will become a parts car later this year.

although a Carfax search (anyone do that before buying an ol Fiats?) would probably indicated otherwise.
I believe a CarFax can only be done on vehicles after (newer than) a certain year, due to the odd VIN numbers on older cars. Some X's fall into that 'old VIN' category. So depending on the years of the cars it may not show up, unless the insurance company reports them as total losses directly to the DMV (many states require them to do that). In that case both titles will show as salvaged (or whatever your state calls it). After a couple of months (takes DMV forever to do things) you can search it online to see.

I hate to see this. My son lost his nice 78 X to a distracted driver too. Thankfully, he was unhurt. The other driver was uninsured and that presented problems but in the end, the car was totaled and I was paid for a nice X1/9.

IMG_9357-L.jpg

Wow. Apparently the wedgy front end of an X is actually a safety design, flipping errant cars out of the way.

This wasn't a recent accident, was it?

This sucks. I am sorry. I can imagine. I hit a deer with the X which set the restoration way back, but it wasn't as bad as this. This blows....

In my case the crasher hit the rear side of the rat X and then launched off the hood of the white X. The bumperless rat had no front damage and the collapsed bumpered 77 also had no bumper contact...the tire marks on the hood showed first contact.

You just cannot predict these things. If it worries you that much go buy a big ass SUV. Otherwise do up your Fiat the way that makes you happy or you won't drive it. There was an interesting thread on MIRA a few days ago about crash testing the spider with some pics and discussions about leaving the safety bumpers on and whether a rollbar was a liability or not.

Waiting for Doc Jeff to make a mockup using plastic water pipe from Home Depot.

Hey - don't knock it till you tried it - I used that for my old bumpers :D My son pushed me home against that rear one about 3 miles with his Volvo T5wagon when my original clutch exploded in 'spirited' driving :D

X19_Exterior00023.jpg

X19-Exterior00020.jpg

Back