Lighter weight 'convertible' targa top

Has time to glue the cover today.

Bonded one side up to the cuts, then coated the cover & targa with 3 light coats of adhesive (3M 90)

IMG-7728.jpg

IMG-7729.jpg

I then lifted it up onto my 'bench', then realized there was no way I could hold the targa, and bond the cover whilst strecthing it out to prevent slack.

IMG-7730.jpg

So, I put it back on the floor, pressed the top (side edge) into my gut & pulled the cover up & progressively against the targa. I got it nice & taut laterally, but couldn't simultaneously stretch the cover fore & aft, so it sunk a little into the cuts.

IMG-7734.jpg

I then dealt with wrapping the edges. The back was a PITA, as it has to be tucked into a narrow crevice, and notched to avoid the webbing. I used a small flathead screwdriver to push the canvas down into the gully. This version adhesive only has about a 10 minute window, after about 2 min setup time. There is another intended for rubber & vinyl that has a 30 min window, that would allow for a more relaxed time fitting the edges.

IMG-7731.jpg

IMG-7732.jpg

Front & sides were pretty cut & dry

IMG-7735.jpg

IMG-7736.jpg

This now weighs about 10.5lbs. Took about 16oz of spray adhesive.

Checked it on the car, to see if the color is OK. The ridges look more obvious in the pics than they do in observation. I don't know if it will improve when I glue the liner, but I'm prepared to live with it either way. Just have to clean up all the hardware, add butyl back into the nooks between the rear & mid section, then reinstall. Bought a bunch of #6 x 1/2, 3/4 & 1" stainless screws. The 1" are for the plastic panel that seals against the sail. The rest are all 1/2", unless the holes are too stripped, in which case I'll use the 3/4".

IMG-7741.jpg

IMG-7737.jpg

IMG-7740.jpg

IMG-7739.jpg

Looks really good Huss. I know photos always seem to show/exaggerate the slightest imperfections somehow.

Do you think there would be any benefit to only glueing the outer edges, so the material can stretch/slide/pull over everything more easily?

Hussein, let us know the final weight of your top. Should be about the same as mine. I took my car out for a long drive today and experienced zero issues with the top.

Just thinking out loud....I wonder if a thin layer of very light weight insulation under the fabric cover would be good? I'm thinking two reasons; acts like a padding to help maintain a smoother/softer surface, and for the insulating property. There is some extremely light stuff that might work. Or do you think that would make it way more difficult to attach everything?

Just a note here about the canvas...

I built a foldable top out of the original targa top in a way that it would collapse and stow in the rear trunk. The one thing that was a problem was the top material STRETCHED from driving, heat of the sun and the suction of air going over the top.

Even with the supports as shown, I believe a well "backed" and expensive material should be used as well as the procedure that was listed to stretch it and glue it down.

I'm assuming "Contact Cement" was used and its necessary to use a good commercial grade as well that will not soften with heat.

Looks GREAT, BTW, hopefully it will hold up as well too!

Looks really good Huss. I know photos always seem to show/exaggerate the slightest imperfections somehow.

Do you think there would be any benefit to only glueing the outer edges, so the material can stretch/slide/pull over everything more easily?

If the entire contact area is not glued, I'm pretty sure it will rise off the frame when driving.

Just thinking out loud....I wonder if a thin layer of very light weight insulation under the fabric cover would be good? I'm thinking two reasons; acts like a padding to help maintain a smoother/softer surface, and for the insulating property. There is some extremely light stuff that might work. Or do you think that would make it way more difficult to attach everything?

Similar issue to above - unless you glue the insulation to the frame, then glue the canvas to the insulation, it will separate. I think it will separate anyway, as most insulation is not solid enough.

Hussein, let us know the final weight of your top. Should be about the same as mine. I took my car out for a long drive today and experienced zero issues with the top.

Mine came out to 16lbs with all the hardware back in place. I was hoping for a little less. That means the seals, guides & latches weigh 5.5lbs altogether. Even so, it is much easier to heft around as is.

I glued a section of the canvas over the rear section that is 'exposed'

IMG-7742.jpg

IMG-7743.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note here about the canvas...

I built a foldable top out of the original targa top in a way that it would collapse and stow in the rear trunk. The one thing that was a problem was the top material STRETCHED from driving, heat of the sun and the suction of air going over the top.

Even with the supports as shown, I believe a well "backed" and expensive material should be used as well as the procedure that was listed to stretch it and glue it down.

I'm assuming "Contact Cement" was used and its necessary to use a good commercial grade as well that will not soften with heat.

Looks GREAT, BTW, hopefully it will hold up as well too!

I used commercial grade 3M contact cement, I'm sure X1/9Cruiser did with his also. The StayFast canvas is commercial grade convertible top material, I'm sure it will hold up.

Do you have any pics of your folding top?

Mine came out to 16lbs with all the hardware back in place. I was hoping for a little less. That means the seals, guides & latches weigh 5.5lbs altogether.

I glued a section of the canvas over the rear section that is 'exposed'

IMG-7742.jpg

IMG-7743.jpg

I would call it a success in any case. Nice job.

Mine came out to 16lbs with all the hardware back in place.

Hussein,

16lbs? I guess I will just use my Saratoga when I want a lighter top. :cool::p

Seriously though. You did a great job on your top. You and X1/9Cruiser are showing how to get it done. I think a lot of folks will give this mod a try. Thanks guys! :)

Just to set the record straight, I re-weighed my top (with a bathroom scale zero'd out) and I'm right between 14 and 15 lbs. I'll call it 14 and a half. Not sure why Hussein's top weighs more. Could be the scales we're using or I cut off more material than he did or my fabric is lighter?

Just to set the record straight, I re-weighed my top (with a bathroom scale zero'd out) and I'm right between 14 and 15 lbs. I'll call it 14 and a half. Not sure why Hussein's top weighs more. Could be the scales we're using or I cut off more material than he did or my fabric is lighter?

Yes. Any one of those factors could be the culprit Cruiser. My money is on the bathroom scale. My bathroom scale lies all the time. I am sure of it. :cool::p:D

Yes. Any one of those factors could be the culprit Cruiser. My money is on the bathroom scale. My bathroom scale lies all the time. I am sure of it. :cool::p:D
Agreed, bathroom scales are especially inaccurate at such small weights.

It's possible I didn't cut as much off the sides? It looks very close to yours though. Maybe it's related to the year of manufacture? later ones use a more dense fiberglass? I dunno...

Back