Lightweight roof and door card pockets

I'm a fan of GPS...not necessarily a phone, but a GPS. That said, I need to buy one.

I have 4 tops for 2 X1/9s. 2 of them are only the black (plastic?) material & the other two have a headliner & all that jazz. I don't think any are gutted. The ones w/o the liner feel lighter already...I might try these out some time on my bike scale out of curiosity. I'm planning on making one of mine heavier by adding a mount for a bicycle anyway.

Ed, I would be careful adding a bike rack to the targa, not sure the securing clips up front and the curled anchors in the back will support a bike as you go whipping around a corner.

I have 4 tops for 2 X1/9s. 2 of them are only the black (plastic?) material & the other two have a headliner & all that jazz. I don't think any are gutted.
Where there different factory-stock versions (with & without insulation/liner) for different years or editions?

I would be careful adding a bike rack to the targa
I tend to second that. On any cars that I want to add a bike rack I install a small light-weight hitch receiver (the 1-1/4" square tube type) somewhere on the back...usually hidden behind the license plate (flips down) or under the bumper retracted flush with the rear valiance where its not obvious. That way I can easily use a receiver mounted bike rack on the back when needed and remove it when not. Since I don't use the receiver for towing it can be a simple tube bolted to the under carriage...strong enough to secure a bike rack but not much else. Also much easier to load / unload the bikes than on the roof.

It's an idea, also considering something using either the targa bar (actually bolted to the underside using nutserts) with a strap on the rear trunk cover for the rear wheel, or a fork mount on the engine cover. Bike is probably 17lbs or much less (no front wheel), and while cursory thoughts were that it would no generate enough inertia to be an issue on the roof, i would also rather not have to have the roof on to carry a bike.

A receiver from below the bumper area would not work well for me, but also any setup like that would likely mean buying yet another rear hitch rack since the only one I have is 2", but I have ten zillion combinations of fork/wheel mount setups.

When I had my interior redone I had them do door card pockets. What I did was have a slant pocket in the lower front corner. I figure for maps, tissues and thin items that would be enough. It turned out quite well. No flap, just a slant pocket to stick non-bulky items in.

I am not with my X1/9 so I can't take pictures of the door cards...I am currently stationed at Ft Bragg, NC and the car is in CA.

I remember the 1976? X I owned years ago had an unlined black plastic or fiberglass top. It was so much lighter, and the interior of the early car was more Spartan and roomier because of it. I am not sure but I think the early top fits the later cars?

It's an idea, also considering something using either the targa bar (actually bolted to the underside using nutserts) with a strap on the rear trunk cover for the rear wheel, or a fork mount on the engine cover. Bike is probably 17lbs or much less (no front wheel), and while cursory thoughts were that it would no generate enough inertia to be an issue on the roof, i would also rather not have to have the roof on to carry a bike.

A receiver from below the bumper area would not work well for me, but also any setup like that would likely mean buying yet another rear hitch rack since the only one I have is 2", but I have ten zillion combinations of fork/wheel mount setups.
Perhaps for those who don't run regular bumpers, but still have the insert tubes...a custom "bumper/bike rack" could be made to fit into the old inserts?

A question not answered, are the padded tops the same structurally as the lightweight non-padded tops? In other words, if I was to strip out all the padding and insulation on a padded top will I end up with the same weight top as the factory bare tops?

Perhaps for those who don't run regular bumpers, but still have the insert tubes...a custom "bumper/bike rack" could be made to fit into the old inserts?

Yes! I have an older Yakima hitch rack that actually uses two of the round "load bars" mounted parallel with the vehicle to mount a bike tray perpendicular...in other words, you have two bars sticking out the back of the car. I had thought I could weld up something that slides in the bumper mounts (currently no bumpers on the 85, but that may change...perhaps this could interchange with bumpers though) to mount a single tray. A fine idea in many ways.

I remember the 1976? X I owned years ago had an unlined black plastic or fiberglass top. It was so much lighter, and the interior of the early car was more Spartan and roomier because of it. I am not sure but I think the early top fits the later cars?

I have tried my light 75 top on my 85 with no problems.

The change was made in 1976, there are 2 different "size" of targa top. But they could go on any year X1/9 as long as the top front weatherstrip is matching. So you will need an early weatherstrip to go with an early top. I think it's the front side that are différents. Here is a link to the front weatherstrip for 1976 and up. The earlier one is more expensive.
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...p-seal-front-fiat-bertone-x19-1976-88-u8.aspx

Back