Long cold winter-Ferrari and Chevy models

Indeed pricy but the quality control has always been amazing. They go together well, tight joints and incredible detail. The accuracy of their work was always way beyond others.

I used to frame the box art. Sorry to say I have lost them over the many years since.

I started building model cars when I was about twelve years old. I built some other things but mostly cars. The picture of the little kid with the gut is working on a twenty mule team Borax wagon train. Anyone remember those? I built three of those kits. Two straight and one making a left turn. They were mounted on a board about eighteen inches long. Four fuzzy pictures from 1959. The Triumph motorcycle was done around 1986. It is scratch built meaning I made everything. I turned the rims and hubs lacing them with wire. I cast the engine parts in white bronze and made the frame out of tubing and so on. It never got totally finished and has been knocked around over the years and I have been threatening to take it apart to refurbish it and do some last detail like a chain and hook the lights back up. It is 1/12 scale and is about seven and a half inches long. I have made my living making miniature arms and armor since the 70's
These are a set of double rifles approximately four inches long made of sterling silver and Ivory. Hammers and triggers work. Come with two shells and has working latch when closed. I used to go to shows but now I only take special orders. (I am supposed to be retired.)

Thought I would fire up the post again

This one is a very rare animal

All my time lately has been devoted to the Tamiya TCS race coming up and a few kits I have in the works

(I am supposed to be retired.)

Yeah but when you can do what you can do, what fun is being retired?

Nice

I built at least one of the mule teams. I used to paint hundreds of toy soldiers, ranging from Airfix 1/72nd to all manner of 54mm/1/32nd scale figures. My dad, during the last half of his life, had a business making lead (pewter) toy soldiers which I had a small part in.

You can see some of his sets here: America in Miniature

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/47127_otsa-15-day-1-modern-toy-soldiers/page5

One develops a steady hand free hand painting toy soldiers.

Yeah but when you can do what you can do, what fun is being retired?

Nice

I built at least one of the mule teams. I used to paint hundreds of toy soldiers, ranging from Airfix 1/72nd to all manner of 54mm/1/32nd scale figures. My dad, during the last half of his life, had a business making lead (pewter) toy soldiers which I had a small part in.

You can see some of his sets here: America in Miniature

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/47127_otsa-15-day-1-modern-toy-soldiers/page5

One develops a steady hand free hand painting toy soldiers.
My wife says I retired in 1970 after my four years in the navy but failed to tell "her" about it. I never got into the miniature solders but have known men that had some impressive collections. Kmead, are all of the cars the same scale? Plastic or metal?

My models are a mix of scales, most are 1/24, I buy the car not the scale.

Larger would be nicer but space in our house is at a premium with the five of us in 1500 sf. I don't have a dedicated work space inside so no modeling or display for me of late.

I gave all my military models away years ago so I no longer have any of them. I do however have some of my Dad's sets of soldiers, not a lot but some nice ones all the same, one never plans on going early which he sadly did.

Karl

Good Eye B-T

The Nosecone is from an AMT Dragster 2for1 kit
I also did some work with trains. There's a joke going around the Railroad world that we start out with Big Trains in little hands, progress to the Super Detail of "HO" & "N" Gauge, then work Our way up to "G" Scale and Garden Trains as the Visual and Manual Dexterity fades away.

Quick! First reaction! What does this look like?

Well...

At first blush from the roof line I thought of a Camaro... then the front end looked like a LeMans or GTO Pontiac.

Studying it a bit further, the rear looks like its been abbreviated as well as the fenderwells re-arched. It think it went back a bit further and probably was the Pontiac.

Congratulations on your "win" back in the day...

Drums? I had an "original" Pearl set growing up in a classic Metalflake Gold. At one time my group was 8 strong... sax, piano, 3 guitars, me and two girl singers... (great looking, sounded great, were a real pain in the ass!) Our lead guitarist was the stepson of one of the TV series, COMBAT stars (Dick Peabody), who played "Little John". He went on to be a NBC sound man and videographer in NYC... and was made famous by filming the one of the planes that hit the towers. Long story short, he almost died filming it. He now lives in Colorado and plays with a bunch of other old farts... Lots of instrumentals... but hey...

Our sax player was none other than the legendary Tom Scott (LA EXPRESS fame) who made a great living doing themes for TV and movies, Baretta and Starsky and Hutch, to name but a few. OH... and although not in the movie but cited in credits... his association with the Blues Brothers was probably not his finest hour!

I think his FINEST hour was when he toured with Olivia Newton-John back in the day. Last seen on TV as the Pat Sajak show band...

Anyway... I think I am rambling... but you started it! HA!

I watched Ronald Reagan on TV...

with that 20 mule-team show and Borax sponsored it...

Closest I ever came to doing stuff outside of planes and cars was a Stage Coach and 4 horses. I actually really ENJOYED doing finishing work and painting to highlight the oak trim and "mahogany" panels... along with all the tack on the horses.

One of the last models I TOUCHED was a '56 210 Chevy Sedan that my brother sent me because my first car was one of these. I tried to find the foto I had but can't... I had taken a close, table top picture that at a glance, looked like a REAL car in primer. HA!

Anyway, as I said before, old age, poor eyesight and shakes makes it impossible for me to play with these any more. I got plenty of Honey-Do stuff anyway... Thanks for the memories!

MY LORD!!! Do you ever have time...

to shower?

WOW! What great work and fine detail!

I think I once had a collection of paint like your at one time... only it was about 10 bottles and mostly dried up. HA!

Loved Testors, hated Patra(?) and all others.

I once tried some automotive lacquer spray paint on one model and watched the body dissolve when I set it down... Always learnin'...

Contest Winner

Right again. It started as a 63 Pontiac Tempest Convertible. Bob Tailing was big at the time so I dug thru my parts boxes for a "new" rear clip and chopped an inch off the back end. The "Hardtop" is the "ragtop", from a 63 Impala 'vert.
Now here's the 411 on that Contest in the Summer of 64, Sponsored by The FORD Motor Co. Photos of ALL the Class winners where taken and sent to Ford's R & D department. For some reason, no one at FORD will answer my letters or email about how those photos were used. I'll let you guys be the judges.

Growing passion!

I hate to break it too you guys, but none of you guys have it as bad as we do here in WINTERPEG! Our December was the second coldest december on record, with an average tempurture of -21C (-5.8F so you americans realize what I'm talking about.. :p) And thats without the WINDCHILL.... bringing it down to below -50C (-58F) often.

Although most of you still probably consider me a "kid" haha, (at 18, I guess I still am most of the time) I used to love building model cars! Most being old american hotrods or muscle cars. As a little guy I attended a boy's club event on wednesday nights where we played games, sports, learnt cool lessons. blah blah blah. BUT once a year we would build wooden "pine" cars as we called them. (i'm sure there are all sorts of different names for them, but essentially you are given a block of wood, and you pick a shape and get it cut by a "leader", and then paint it)....... This is where it became obvious to me in my life, that I seemed to have more of an interest in cars far beyond the boy next to me in line. As he quickly picked the stencil to outline the shape of his car, I was drawing out my favorite super car. Being a 10 year old kid at the time, that played way to much NEED FOR SPEED, it was an obvious choice for what Car I wanted to create out of this blank block of wood. ...The McLaren F1!!!!!! :eek:mg::shock2::excited: How could one not fall in love with the shape of a car so radically cool with those larger than life air vents swooopping up along the curves of the wide hour glass shape body...Dreaming of the day to sit in the centre positioned steering seat, with revolutionary scissor doors on either side of you. It was like a space ship cockpit.... on wheels....

The countdown began as we worked on the cars before race day. With two categories to win trophies in either SHOW, or FASTEST CAR. I was determined take home both. As determined as I was, I took my car home every week to work on it after school. With probably more than 50 hours of work put into it, I was finally done my creation.. Ready to challenge all the other 10 year old boys with there cars.

Race day came, and I showed up with this. My McLaren F1 Replica Pine Car.

I personally think this angle captures the most accurate shape of the car.

As Ambitious as a 10 year old kid could be, I was eager to find out the results of the judges...

Sure enough, hard work and passion does pay off. I came Home with these.

And then 2 years later I tried recreating the 1967 Dodge Deora Concept truck!

check this west coast cruiser out! In a green very similar to Fiats Funky Green!

All this is to just share my passion for the art and creativity that auto sports and enthusiasts share.

Its been fun, and it is only going to get better when I can actually finish and drive my X.

So toy car racing done now back to the big cars

It was fun and I was very rusty but held my own. I may have been a bit heavy handed J “Rubbin’s racin right?”

Race 3 of three. I am the yellow and red car - Shell Porsche 962
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgvZesun2A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgvZesun2A[/ame]

Race 2 and 3 of three. I am the orange car and my buddy the blue car. The silver car guy thought I was a big hack – might be a small hack J
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8QVGWLlQN0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8QVGWLlQN0[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiT56MSIP84"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiT56MSIP84[/ame]

Now back to engine rebuild(s) Fiat and Renault.

When I Went Model Car Racing

That track would have had 5 or 6 "Slots" in it and i would have been trying to rig my "Sidewinder" engine to act as BRAKES, so I could beat all the Dragster Thinkers into the corners and be gone before half of them crashed.
For all you kids, Google, "Authentic Model Turnpike."
The origin of AMT 3 in 1 Model Kits. For about $1.49, you could build a Stock, Custom or Racing version of the car you chose. All could change their Metal Axles, Screw on Chassis for the Motorized "Turnpike" version with just 4 screws and you could blast an afternoon's or Three Months work down the straightaway at you're local hobby shop.

https://www.facebook.com/1962AuthenticModelTurnpikeAmt?ref=stream

Enjoy! Until the Snow Melts. :D

Lots of cool models:)

Brings back lots of cool memories as well.
First model I was reminded of was a Ferrari 308 I had as a kid.
It wasn't a gts, so I cut the roof to convert it to a targa, then got a bit crazy and did an engine swap. Installed a chevy v8 in it. I had some crazy Ideas back then. lol
Actually. That just reminded me, I used to collect toy and model ferraris (mostly little toy ones like hotwheels, but a few larger metal and plastic models and such, including a beat up Barbie 308 without the windshield. lol).
I think I had over 200 of them.
Now I wonder where they are at. I don't even know how I'd forgotten. Wow, what a brain bender. I guess maybe they are packed away around here somewhere.
Anyway, thanks for the memories guys:)

Back