Looking at a Scorpion - need help

K

knotthead

Hey guys and gals. It's been a long time and it is good to be back. As many of you know, I have had many X1/9s in my time and have been looking for a rolling X1/9 project for some time now. Now that I have the wife's blessing, let the search commence!

I recently came across an ad for a Lancia Scorpion that is in good shape but "needs a little TLC." I have always been intrigued by these cars but have always been a loyal X guy, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of Lancias (only that a lot of folks plop the 2.0L Lancia engines into X1/9s).

I am heading out to look at this particular Scorpion/Monte Carlo today and I am hoping you all may be able to shed some light on what I really should look for, where are the trouble spots and if I see "XYZ" I should run away. Obviously rust is an issue on all 70's/80's Italian cars...but are there any particular parts of the Scorpion that are more prone to it? I know in the X there are several usual places (shock towers, rear trunk sides, rockers, battery tray, etc.). So, any assistance and guidance you can give me is very much appreciated!

Also, for a 1977 that is in good mechanical shape but needs a bit of cosmetics, what should I be looking for as far as a ballpark price?

Thanks!

Shannon

The usual advice applies...

Buy the best you can afford.
Trim bits are rare and expensive.
Most engine parts are Fiat TC and easy to find.
Windshield is important, you want no cracks or big chips.
Top edge straps are extra rare/expensive, AFAIK.

Lookout for rust on the edge of the front hood, and around the windshield.

That's a start.

Back