Looking for a 1974 gas cap...or...

tvmaster

True Classic
Hi - anyone have a 1974-ish gas cap in their junk pile? I have something on the car now, and it isn't bad, but the chrome has been eaten away and it's in serious need of refinishing.
Is that a thing that's not insanely expensive, sanding and re-chroming a gas cap?
The only new ones I've found at one of the FIAT parts places is $123! And, it's out of stock.
So, if you either have spares you don't need, or advice on how to re-chrome mine, that would be super.
thanks

Let me look, maybe? Send me a close-up of exactly what it looks like. If I have it anywhere in the mess of stuff I'll send it for the shipping costs

Let me look, maybe? Send me a close-up of exactly what it looks like. If I have it anywhere in the mess of stuff I'll send it for the shipping costs
this is what it looks like. I also have a locking version which looks quite different, but it has broken in multiple ways.

cap.jpg

I think only super early 74s had that cap.
Leftover from the 850?
Most 74s I have seen had this style:7A26DA01-05C2-4ABE-AE27-5AC88B8EF3DC.jpegA5B64F45-7D70-40D4-A4EA-E63F6EEE5D83.jpeg

$50 is what I would consider a fair price for a bowtie style gas cap. Well worth the price for the rarity alone. They also look stunning on early X1/9's. All the pre-75 X1/9's I've seen have the bowtie style cap. I don't know if the 850 caps were stock on early cars. My 1973 X1/9 had CD4's stock, which were an 850 Spider option, and the bowtie style gas cap so who really knows.

20210127_182412.jpgSorry just had the chance to look now. Works been crazy. You're welcome to any of these. The chrome one is actually a 74 as you can see it's mate on the left. A 74X

Back