Looking for a Local Shop

Discussion in 'Front-Engine Rear Drive Fiats' started by Joe F, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Joe F

Joe F Hi Miles, Lo Maintenance

My 1980 Spider needs more help than I can give.
    I have a retirement home in the Villages Florida (near Ocala) and I bought this Spider a few years ago. I have done all I could with limited space and resources to make it a daily driver. It runs good now, but I've been fighting oil leaks since day one.
    Anyone know of a shop I can use that would be capable of tracking down these leaks? I visited a few "European Repair" shops locally, but I did not feel they knew the car.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

im near the villages if the car is in fla. Ill help

3. Joe F

The car is in Florida, at the Villages. Thanks for the offer, do you have a shop? I cannot do this in my garage. I have a feeling this is going to be a partial teardown with at least replacing the oil pan gasket and the cam seals. It could be even worse...I would hate to burden someone with a long term project.

4. kmead

kmead True Classic

This is a very kind offer. Have a look at his thread for updating his Spider and Lancia and you will be smart to make a beeline for his garage...

Better than any mechanic you will find in FL, by far.

5. Joe F

BEEK, PM sent.

6. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

I am a high school auto shop teacher now, Owned a Fiat / Lancia repair business for about 20 years. While I do not have a shop at home I do have full use of the schools facilities. All my tools are at the schools shop. At the moment I am currently 3/4 of the way through football season. I also Coach football. Once that is over I will have plenty of time. When a car, such as yours is in the shop I do all the work and use it for instructional purposes. I do not let the kids work on other peoples cars, except teachers. All I ask is that you provide all the parts, I will provide all labor free of charge. If you like what you get, a small donation can be made to the schools autoshop. But is not mandatory.

kmead and lanciahf like this.
  7. Chad C.

Chad C. Daily Driver

Sure do love me some Xweb... : )

8. Joe F

I heartily accept your offer. I am glad my car can be used to aid the education of future auto enthusiasts. My car is in no way a trophy contender, I have repaired and modified it to be a daily fun drive. I am a retired mechanical engineer and have been wrenching Fiats (mostly X-1/9's) since 1972. I have no issues with my car being worked on by anyone, just as long as they have a true love for cars.
    I wish you luck with your football season and look forward to communicating with you at seasons end. I posted a personal message to you with my email or you can reply to this message.
    Thanks again.