Looks like I'm a new X 1/9 owner, guys!

Good buy for 6300.00?

• Hell no! You are a fool!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WantAnX1/9

Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...
6300.00...for this '79...Got photos inside all the problem areas...it is clean. Even inside the headlamps are clean, as are the front and rear trunks, sills, chassis corners. Everything is dry, solid, rust free...looks to be a true survivor.

Good buy?

page 2-----(Image Heavy Warning)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Other...ad58a80a0:g:oLUAAOSwhQpdjAdH&autorefresh=true

I should have it in a week.

Yes, I will have it shipped.

Very excited. Very terrified. Ha ha!!!

So begins the insanity of X 1/9 ownership...

Last edited:
"Auction ended", can't see the pictures. Welcome aboard, new owner!

Haha, never mind, found my problem!

Last edited:
Pictures are there for me, nice interior, not black and it’s carb’d as well whoohoo! :D

Now the real expense starts...:confused:

Yep. I thought Ducati ownership was expensive...now, the real expense begins!

I cannot wait to get the X 1/9.

I think I might just store her, as winter is very near...and start work on her in the Spring...We'll see the state she is in when she arrives.

I think I stole this car. I hope I did...

According to BAT auctions, I may have really scored:

https://bringatrailer.com/fiat/x19/

Cheapest one in '19 went for 8k. These cars are trending ever upward...

Last edited:
Reactions: NEG
Yep. I thought Ducati ownership was expensive...now, the real expense begins!

I cannot wait to get the X 1/9.

I think I might just store her, as winter is very near...and start work on her in the Spring...We'll see the state she is in when she arrives.

I think I stole this car. I hope I did...

It’s worth what somebody is willing to pay, it’s your car! Don’t look at the price tag look at the value to you.

I’d start accumulating parts over the winter. I note the heater valve is seized...it will be a case of ‘while I have that apart I may as well do this...’ :D

It’s worth what somebody is willing to pay, it’s your car! Don’t look at the price tag look at the value to you.

I’d start accumulating parts over the winter. I note the heater valve is seized...it will be a case of ‘while I have that apart I may as well do this...’ :D

Yes. He has a new one he will supply, along with a lot of other parts.

I already have some plans...not the least of which is a nice dual barrel carb for this car, along with digital ignition...I think '79s used points?

Also, will convert this to Euro bumpers...

I'm loving the "cloverleaf" wheels! 165/70R13s will fit cloverleaf wheels, yes?

Tire rack has some sweet Vredestein Quadtrack5s for 71.28/ea!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=true&autoMake=FIAT&autoYear=1979&autoModel=X1/9&autoModClar=&width=165/&ratio=70&diameter=13

Last edited:
Also, can anyone recommend a solid, reputable transport company that won't damage or steal my car in transport?

I keep getting horror stories!

Also, can anyone recommend a solid, reputable transport company that won't damage or steal my car in transport?

I keep getting horror stories!
How many miles away from you is it?
For sixty three hundred dollars you should be able to drive it a couple thousand miles with minimal problems.

79 should have electronic ignition.
One less thing to do!

It is around 1300 miles----using UShip to gather quotes. 800-1200 seems to be the norm, and I accepted this before bidding on this particular car.

Anyone know if the plastic "flag" mirrors have the same base size as the earlier metal Vitaloni ones? Can't switch to the "through the glass" "baby turbo" ones, now that the car has holes in the doors...

Driving that far, taking off work, out of the question. I work over 90 hrs/wk.

BTW, I love Hagerty. The rates are astounding! 98.00 a year for this X 1/9, 0.00 deduct, 9300.00 agreed value, no questions asked.

I insure my classic MG and classic motorcycle through them as well...A+++, all-the-way!

The ordering of parts for my '79...and so it begins. Goodbye, money! Hello, FAZA parts (I wish!)!

Last edited:
Nice looking car. No desmodromics like your duc so you can work on this motor yourself....although the exhaust note won't be as nice!
As a current owner of classic cars you already know this but it bears stating, drive the car as is, if you can, to baseline any problems. If you can't get definitive proof on cam belt change, plan on making that a spring job.

Nice looking car. No desmodromics like your duc so you can work on this motor yourself....although the exhaust note won't be as nice!
As a current owner of classic cars you already know this but it bears stating, drive the car as is, if you can, to baseline any problems. If you can't get definitive proof on cam belt change, plan on making that a spring job.

1st thing on my list is to drive it, and do a complete, top-to-bottom multi-point inspection on the car...and enjoy it. Then, water pump and timing belt...and a new set of tires.

I plan on keeping her mostly stock-----no crazy engine rebuilds, just some intake and exhaust work for breathing and aural sound when I do my tunnel runs.

You are right about the Ducks---especially the air-cooled ones. Best sound this side of a V12 Ferrari on full chat. Highly undervalued, and for that, I am thankful.

Last edited:
According to BAT auctions, I may have really scored:

https://bringatrailer.com/fiat/x19/

Cheapest one in '19 went for 8k. These cars are trending ever upward...

I think you got a good deal. You got very nice X at a good price that you are happy with. That's about the best you can do in the "buying a car arena".

BAT and Ebay are very different selling environments. If you have a nice, interesting vehicle of any variety, BAT is the place to list in order to bring a good price. The seller rules, buyer expectations and communication between buyers and sellers are much more robust on BAT than on Ebay. Comparing final prices between BAT and Ebay tells you one thing, that you are happy your seller chose to list on Ebay rather than BAT. :)

If the heater control is seized, Replace the heater control valve. Not to bad to get to from the passenger side.
Replace all rubber belts and fuel lines before you damage anything including the brake hoses and caliper seals. Carl is right about a test drive before big repairs. Look to see if the brake reservoir is cracked or broken. These are getting harder to get.

I think you got a good deal. You got very nice X at a good price that you are happy with. That's about the best you can do in the "buying a car arena".

BAT and Ebay are very different selling environments. If you have a nice, interesting vehicle of any variety, BAT is the place to list in order to bring a good price. The seller rules, buyer expectations and communication between buyers and sellers are much more robust on BAT than on Ebay. Comparing final prices between BAT and Ebay tells you one thing, that you are happy your seller chose to list on Ebay rather than BAT. :)

I can't agree enough with this statement.

A clean, rust-free, stock X 1/9. I was budgeting up to $10k.

Red with parchment interior isn't my lime green/black or brown interior ideal...but I think I can live with it!

I am so excited to get this car. I hope it shifts, steers, brakes, handles and sounds as amazing as I have seen and heard people say.

An X 1/9 will be quite a nice contrast to my front-engine, pushrod valvetrain MG Midget roadster.

A 5th gear! Wow! Mid-engined! Wow! All independent suspension! Wow! Overhead camshaft! Wow! Next crazy thing you will say is some of these fancy Eye-talian cars had fuel injection! That is Mercedes-Benz technology there,

son!

Star Wars vs WWI. Ha ha!

While one is down for work, I can always drive the other...I don't expect the X 1/9 to be a Honda Civic, but the MG Midget after it has been sorted, has been amazingly reliable.

I cannot wait to finally drive an X 1/9. I have wanted one for years.

Finally, the dream will be made real.

If the heater control is seized, Replace the heater control valve. Not to bad to get to from the passenger side.
Replace all rubber belts and fuel lines before you damage anything including the brake hoses and caliper seals. Carl is right about a test drive before big repairs. Look to see if the brake reservoir is cracked or broken. These are getting harder to get.

Thank you, Todd. Will go through the car thoroughly when she arrives.

I'm so pyched!

6300.00...for this '79...Got photos inside all the problem areas...it is clean. Even inside the headlamps are clean, as are the front and rear trunks, sills, chassis corners. Everything is dry, solid, rust free...looks to be a true survivor.

Good buy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Other...ad58a80a0:g:oLUAAOSwhQpdjAdH&autorefresh=true

I should have it in a week.

Yes, I will have it shipped.

Very excited. Very terrified. Ha ha!!!

So begins the insanity of X 1/9 ownership...

The only thing I can say is…welcome to the addiction.

Back