Lots more room under a 124 on casters

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
It was almost 70F today in STL after many many cold rainy days. I decided to take advantage and shuffle the cars in the garage to better suit the work each car needs. I don't think I have ever had the 124 up on casters before. I think I would have remembered the shock when I saw how much room there is underneath it once lifted. Almost a full 12 inches. I might be able to squeeze under there is I really try. :)

124_on_casters1.JPG

Attachments

• 124_on_casters2.JPG
    124_on_casters2.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 148
These are Harbor Freight dollies. I guess the wheels are the "caster" part I was thinking of. I bought these on sale from HF thinking all these dollies were probably pretty much the same. I have a set I got many years ago off Ebay that were more expensive, turns out that set has much better wheels. Perhaps the extra weight of the 124 sedan vs the X1/9 is the problem, but there were a few black streaks across the garage floor today where wheels were obviously dragging on the HF set rather than rolling.

There other "no name" set is red and I think the wheels are smaller diameter and most likely have better bearings. I could easily spin an an around the garage on my own. Today I had to enlist the wife to help move the 124 around. I could move it, but it was slow going.

I bought some from Menards and have yet to use them. They are somewhere between your two sets. Definitely not something you've want to leave the weight of the car on.

Perhaps some with cast iron casters for long term use?

Karl,

I have left various Xs on the red set over the winter and, in the sad case of the 78, it has ridden those dollies for many years. The wheels on the red dollies have never given me any trouble.

Back