Lotus Elise for a K20/K24 X1/9 anyone?

TechnoHippie

Low Mileage
Considering trading my 2005 Lotus Elise for a Honda powered X1/9 -- must be completed, have A/C, and both trunks. Let me know if anyone might be interested.

I can't say I'm not tempted by this offer. Tell me more about the Lotus. I've driven one once, and it was a lightweight wonder, excellent handling, decent power.

Its a 2005 Lotus Elise -- 109,000 miles -- yellow. Mostly stock except it has upgraded radiator, headlights and tail lights, carbon fiber center console, upgraded stereo, micro-mirror and a few other tid-bits. Also has a new Nitron suspension, starter, and alternator. Paint is not the best is could use a respray. It came with both the touring pack and sports pack too.

I will be interested to see how/if this works out. As one who has spent several hours behind the wheel of Pete's car in both Ohio and Texas, I know that it is a well-sorted and highly enjoyable car to drive. Although I have no experience with an Elise other than passively wishing I could have one without the actual money to purchase, I can't imagine that it isn't every bit as much fun (albeit not as fast) as a K swapped X.

I will be interested to see how/if this works out. As one who has spent several hours behind the wheel of Pete's car in both Ohio and Texas, I know that it is a well-sorted and highly enjoyable car to drive. Although I have no experience with an Elise other than passively wishing I could have one without the actual money to purchase, I can't imagine that it isn't every bit as much fun (albeit not as fast) as a K swapped X.

Highly enjoyable is right, and while I'm tempted, having slept on it a few nights, I honestly don't think I could part with my K20 X without serious regret, even with an Elise as a consolation prize.

I'm also not sure how to compare the relative values of the two cars.

I misread the title - I thought it was a K-Swap Elise - which seems fairly common in the EU. There are several on the K20a.org forum

I'm also not sure how to compare the relative values of the two cars.

The going rate for a K swapped X seems to be $40k. The overall level of polish of the two that have sold on BaT might be a bit higher than yours, having had more recent paint work, but I think $35k would be a reasonable guess. Now, $35k, or even $40k, is a losing proposition for those who paid for a conversion once you add in the value of the car to start with, adjust for the inflation that has happened in the past ten years, plus transportation costs for the car and whatever else came up along the way, but we don't do this for profit. :)

As nifty as the Elise is, I think I would have made the same decision as you did. An Elise is a special car, without any doubt. But a K swapped X is considerably more rare, plus faster and probably lighter to boot. Chapman always wanted to "simplify and add lightness," but you can be only so simple and light in this age.

EDIT: I looked it up. The early Elise was lighter than a complete X, and the later ones were comparable in weight. That surprised me.

Thanks everyone for responding. I will keep my eyes open, perhaps someday a trade can happen. This is my first Lotus Elise -- and I LOVE the car, have no issues with it at all..... but I've had 14 X1/9's over the years and kinda miss driving one and the trunk in the front along with ability to store the targa top in the car. The lack of power and poor electrical systems that bothered me before would be resolved with a proper power-plant lol.
Again -- thanks everyone. I for sure understand why those with a K20/K24 X1/9 would be hard pressed to let it go - even if a Lotus Elise is the result.

Just my two cents, I find the lotus seats are incredible but getting into the lotus is a challenge. The lotus is an incredible performer out of the box but both benefit from motor swaps whatever flavor you choose. Now I have suspension, brake and wheel upgrades but even with the lack of power the X has no issues keeping with the lotus in the twisties. I would have a hard time trading the X once it has a decent amount of power with the motor swap. On our little cruises or ice cream runs the X gets way more attention. I am biased but just look at the X shape. Just sexy from every angle.

withlotus copy.jpg

Back