Low Mileage X for sale on Facebook

I keep forgetting that my ‘79 came without the right side mirror. When I was stationed in Germany in 1980, I took my X with me. Shortly after I got there, I happened to find a matching Vitaloni right side mirror in the PX of all places. Mounted on the door like the other side and it’s been there ever since. Definitely came in handy when moving back into the right lane on the Autobahn after passing a slower vehicle before a fast Mercedes or BMW roars up on your ass.
Of course, it wasn’t all that often that I would come upon a slower vehicle on the Autobahn, haha. Kidding. I could cruise for hours at about 90 in the X. You did have to plan your passes well in advance, though.

Hey Rodger, What base were you stationed at in Germany? I was at Spangdahlem 78 to 80. Purchased my first x there from my supervisor as he had his first child and his family outgrew the x. For a long time they just stuffed him in the middle between them but he kept growing. The car was shipped over by the military so it had a slot going back for free. Mine was a '76 sunset orange and there was another guy that had a '74 lime green one. I can't remember his name but we used to compare bumpers trying to decide which we liked best. We liked the looks of his but both thought they wouldn't do much "bumpering".

Yes I know what you mean by cruising for hours at 90 because to go from 90 to 100 took about another half hour and a 10 mile long straight away. Here is my '76 in front of the egress shop on base circa 1980. Notice no right hand mirror because all the cool kids had it that way haha.

DeLaun IMG_0554.jpg

Really? Wow. Because the cars were so slow they never ventured into the left lane? lol. Couldn’t resist. But that is odd at best. So any car before ‘83 in the U.S. had to guess when merging right?
Odd, but not at best. It was quite common back in the day. Many small cars in the US had an optional or non-existent right side mirror.

Here is the US show Motorweek review from 1982, the last year without a right side mirror.

Here is a 1977 review of the X1/9 as it was introduced to the UK in rhd. No left side mirror.

In some markets, early cars didn't even have side mirrors at all! Here is a LHD 76 as an example.

Back