Lowering a fiat 128

VW Mk1 coilovers/struts are longer than X1/9 struts, but I believe the 128 struts are also longer than the X's. So maybe the VW units are about the same length as 128s? If they aren't too long and easy to adapt to the 128, then you can buy VW coilovers for a fraction the price of any Fiat ones. Even the exact same models from the same manufacturers are significantly less for a VW vs a Fiat....I guess it's a "supply and demand" thing. You will also find significantly more options of coilovers available for a Mk1 VW than any Fiat model. :)

Presumably you have adjusted the bump stops in the rear to maximize the travel you have before riding the bump stops.
Yeah i just cut them down almost a centimeter so i have plenty of travel now in the back

VW Mk1 coilovers/struts are longer than X1/9 struts, but I believe the 128 struts are also longer than the X's. So maybe the VW units are about the same length as 128s? If they aren't too long and easy to adapt to the 128, then you can buy VW coilovers for a fraction the price of any Fiat ones. Even the exact same models from the same manufacturers are significantly less for a VW vs a Fiat....I guess it's a "supply and demand" thing. You will also find significantly more options of coilovers available for a Mk1 VW than any Fiat model. :)
I wil put them side to side tomorrow to see that because indeed the vw mk1 is so much more popular and very easy to findt parts for so i think it would be a cheap and goos option for alot of People for the front side
The rear dont fit at all if you dont want to bash in the body with a Hammer because they are to thick so youre gonna have 2 coilover for the rear laying around thats the only downside but again they are pretty common to find used for cheap

As you can see here the little side brackets can be cut off because you dont have any use for them
The bottom hole fits into the original bottom hole so then you need to drill a new hole right under the existing upper slot for the second bolt
At the bottom you need to grind of a little bit of the edge so it will clear the cv booth (its close but it just clears it so no problemo)
And lastly on the inside of the mounting points at the bottom its like 2 layers of metal you will need to grindt out 1 side as you can see to fit the original bracket from the brake assembly
This can al be done super simple and easy in a few hours of work with just a grinder and a drill

I myself am gonna weld a plate over the upperhole so i can make a slot right beneath the upperhole so that i can adjust my camber this definitly does NOT need to be done i just like having that option as the original shock also does not have that option

Attachments

• 20230125_191136.jpg
    20230125_191136.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230125_191141.jpg
    20230125_191141.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230125_191201.jpg
    20230125_191201.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20230125_191206.jpg
    20230125_191206.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230125_191217.jpg
    20230125_191217.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230125_191223.jpg
    20230125_191223.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 117
I have one side dropped now it looks good but wil need a little bit smaller tires to be able to turn hahaha
But its definitly coming together 😁
Yes i know its veeery low but here in the netherlands speedbumps are not very bad in general and if they are there is plenty of room to drive around them or go sideways over it so im not really worried

Attachments

• 20230125_215435.jpg
    20230125_215435.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230125_215336.jpg
    20230125_215336.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 93
so youre gonna have 2 coilover for the rear laying around
Actually they sell sets with only the front coilovers for the VW Mk1, no rears. They are for the VW "Caddy" pickup truck, which has leaf springs on the rear - not struts. And the price is less than a set of all four. :)

I have never built a 128 so I'm not very knowledgeable about them. But isn't it possible to eliminate the rear leaf spring and convert it to a different design? Maybe some new arms and strut/coilover? There seems to be a lot of aftermarket components to upgrade 128's, perhaps someone offers a kit to do that?

There is a full coilover set for the 128 available here in Germany.
Expensive and only available through one private individual, but TUV approved with all the necessary papers.
This setup eliminates the rear leaf spring and uses coilovers in the rear as well. So it can be done and won‘t rip out your shock tower.
I did not go for the coilovers because my car is for cruising only and I wanted to keep a cushy ride. Worked out well.

Attachments

• 65E5E415-8982-410F-B9BE-03DD242839E8.jpeg
    65E5E415-8982-410F-B9BE-03DD242839E8.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 83
I have one side dropped now it looks good but wil need a little bit smaller tires to be able to turn hahaha
But its definitly coming together 😁
Yes i know its veeery low but here in the netherlands speedbumps are not very bad in general and if they are there is plenty of room to drive around them or go sideways over it so im not really worried
that's not too low Bro, you've got a long way to go....
128low.jpg

They love this look down in Argentina,

128lowb.jpg

128lowc.jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
Yeah, I had seen that too.
Looks like the car is half-finished.

I wonder if people raise the engine when they go this low.
The oil pan should scrape at one point otherwise. 😁

Classic Performance also make a front and rear coil over setup...
They also make rears only..

Classic Performance also make a front and rear coil over setup...
They also make rears only..
Yeah i seen this to but i am probably not the only one who would like to lower it for less than €1300 all around because when i get my good spacers in for the rear i wil have it lowerd for around €200 so that is a lot lot cheaper option

I wonder if people raise the engine when they go this low.
The oil pan should scrape at one point otherwise.
With the early VWs lowered that far the oil pan becomes the lowest point of the undercarriage and will get damaged easily. There's a few solutions: Shorten the oil pan and oil pump pickup. Raise the drivetrain relative to the body. Add various skid plates. Use a air suspension system to allow raising the car over objects.

An issue is going to be that a mk1 golf weighs between 100-300 lbs.(depending who you ask) more than a 128.. The spring rate and strut valving will not be ideal for the lighter car...

An issue is going to be that a mk1 golf weighs between 100-300 lbs.(depending who you ask) more than a 128.. The spring rate and strut valving will not be ideal for the lighter car...
Because its a adjustable coilover you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension so that little bit of weight difference does not really matter

Ok, they didn't look adjustable... Just height adjustable, what strut insert is in it? You can adjust the firmness/softness? I didn't see an adjustable valve..

Notice the Argentinian wagon is a four door. I learned that ALL 128s sold in Argentina had 4 doors.
They also look like what we used to do to American cars in the 1960s Jack the ass way up in the air so the front scrapes if your not careful. And put on some wide tires, and you could see them from behind.

Here, I thought lowering a 128 was easy. You guys make it sound so complicated!

Rear struts and springs from a 1300 X mounted in the front.
On the rear knock out the spot welded bolts on the a arms that hold the bracket for the end of the rear spring, and replace them with a longer bolt and two or three nuts that slide over the bolt. Install the bracket again.
Remount the brake compensator lever end so it will function correctly.
Using the wagon rear leaf is better, if you can find one. The Sedan works OK, but on hard acceleration it will sink a bit more than a wagon one will.
Trim the rear bump stops so you have some clearance. You don't want to be cornering on the bump stops.

Don't forget to loosen all of the suspension thru bolts, drive it around the block, and tighten it down with the weight of the car on the suspension.
Get it aligned. Usually the front caster will not fall into spec unless you modify the front sway bar, but that's OK, it just won't automatically come back to center as quickly. I like to add a wee bit of camber to the front, and I use special bolts for that.

BTW, the torgue steer goes away at this height.

Ulix chased me up the hill in Oregon one summer day. I still miss my 128, and it had this simple set up.

You forgot the most important mod....stick a 1500 X motor in it.
That 128 had a wee bit more than a stock 1.5 X motor. On the chassis dyno it had 92.7 hp at the front wheels.

I ran the OR hill climb twice in it. Yes, it was probably 25 years ago. I also took it east and drove the the dragon with it. At the start of the good spot I dropped in behind two bikes and we went 11 miles before catching a truck. The bikes pulled me over and we all got out and talked about the run. The told me they had never had a car keep up with them, and wanted to check out the little yellow box. I had more if they would have gotten out of my way, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. They drove the road a few times each month so they knew the corners. It was my first time on it.

I also used to chase motorcycles with it on our local mountain roads, mostly because they had mostly taken over the roads. I stopped that when I realized I was pushing most riders beyond their skills...
Too many bikers get killed every month and I didn't want to contribute to it.

It was also my tow vehicle for years. Take a race car to the autocross, take off the trailer and set top time of the day with the tow vehicle, tow the race car home.
It was fun.
And a long time ago.

Back