LSD for X1/9 5-speed

Marky

Late to the party as usual, I'm reaching out to anyone who can help me choose the correct LSD for the X1/9 5-speed and hopefully advise on setting it up.

I write a blog about my build at : RMS Motoring Forum / Members Cars / The Ultimate X

Boy, this is a steep learning curve, looking back, and down at all the mistakes I made, such as trusting someone to build me a 'box with short gears and a LSD, early on in the project.

It sat for 2 years, on completion... all the time me thinking it was finished and ready to fit, until the engine was finished and just as I was about to join the two together, something made me think - that doesn't look right, and to cut a long story short I sent it to the bloke who built the engine, where it is now completely stripped down, he discovered there are short ratios but no LSD so I got ripped off.

Which leaves me very short on time to get the right part and the right setup, for what is (I say hesitantly), a ''fairly unique'' build based on a Lancia Prisma 1500 SOHC 8V, expected to make around 150 bhp @ 7,400 rpm, on throttle bodies with a programmable ECU.

(The engine build is documented in the blog).

Fingers X'd

There's been a number of discussions on a LSD for the 5-speed. Unfortunately I'm not in the need for it so I don't have any of those threads saved. Try "searching" to find some of the them. But the short version is there are extremely few options, various trade-offs, and all of them are quite expensive.

There are few choices of LSDs for the X1/9 5 speed. The one you linked in your forum post is one of only two I know of currently available. It is a clutch type and should work reasonably well.

What are you going to use the car for? That is the primary consideration when choosing an LSD.

Gripper diffs made one for my X1/9, very good service. Its a plate type LSD for the Uno Turbo, but is a straight fit. However, depending on how they are set up they can be a bit unfriendly for street use, definitely more competition biased. Did anybody do a more driver friendly ATB diff for an Uno Turbo?

There are few choices of LSDs for the X1/9 5 speed. The one you linked in your forum post is one of only two I know of currently available. It is a clutch type and should work reasonably well.

What are you going to use the car for? That is the primary consideration when choosing an LSD.
Steve, he's building it for ultimate fast street. Top notch quality.

Steve, he's building it for ultimate fast street. Top notch quality.

I have built a few cars that fall into that category. I never used an LSD in any of them and would advise that its not worth the expense. The car drives better with the open diff anyway. Just be sure to set the car up with an adequate front anti-roll bar.

Years have passed since I last posted, I notice!
Thanks for the input along the way to anyone who posted replies.

The same shop that built the motor, built the gearbox to include a Bacci LSD, factory set for the opposite of race eg slow and mild rates and angles, plus Bacci close ratios 1-2-3-4 (synchro not dog), 5th is the original Fiat cog.

I installed the motor and transmission but the cooling, fuel, and hydraulic systems are still empty pending finishing the front of the car.

I wasn't intending radically alter the front end, but I noticed some rust around the tow eyes so I had to take the bumper off.

One thing led to another such as a custom grille, pop-up delete to 4x Hella 80mm (fixed) projector headlamps, tow-eye delete, bumper delete, custom low wing, custom front undertray.

I'm approaching the final installation of the headlamps.

When that's done, the rest of the project will be relatively straightforward, and at current rates it will be back on its wheels oh in a couple of years.

The pics are at RMS Motoring Forum/
Member's Cars/ The Ultimate X.

🤔 It's not turned out as ultimate as I imagined, probably because I'm building the car on limited funds, myself in my spare time with limited skills.

In a lot of ways it would be better to start again from scratch on another X, to incorporate what I've learned.

In a lot of ways it would be better to start again from scratch on another X, to incorporate what I've learned
No! Perfect is the enemy of good. Finish what you have, use it, live with it, enjoy it and THEN, do another one better that incorporates all you have learned. If you divert now, you will never finish.

Years have passed since I last posted, I notice!
Thanks for the input along the way to anyone who posted replies.

The same shop that built the motor, built the gearbox to include a Bacci LSD, factory set for the opposite of race eg slow and mild rates and angles, plus Bacci close ratios 1-2-3-4 (synchro not dog), 5th is the original Fiat cog.

I installed the motor and transmission but the cooling, fuel, and hydraulic systems are still empty pending finishing the front of the car.

I wasn't intending radically alter the front end, but I noticed some rust around the tow eyes so I had to take the bumper off.

One thing led to another such as a custom grille, pop-up delete to 4x Hella 80mm (fixed) projector headlamps, tow-eye delete, bumper delete, custom low wing, custom front undertray.

I'm approaching the final installation of the headlamps.

When that's done, the rest of the project will be relatively straightforward, and at current rates it will be back on its wheels oh in a couple of years.

The pics are at RMS Motoring Forum/
Member's Cars/ The Ultimate X.

🤔 It's not turned out as ultimate as I imagined, probably because I'm building the car on limited funds, myself in my spare time with limited skills.

In a lot of ways it would be better to start again from scratch on another X, to incorporate what I've learned.
Nice work.

You might try a thinner Lexan material for the lamp covers, the thick material you are using is hard to manage. The crease on a thin piece of lexan can be bent using a brake and you won’t get that distortion.

Personally I would prefer an early X grille but thats me.

Lovely car and lots of very nice work. Congrats.

Back