Maintenance, really? Why not keep up with some little things.

kmead

Old enough to know better
I have recently taken on the stewardship of two AWD Honda Elements. One is a 2007 the other a 2008, they are effectively identical (not by intent) with the same options and color. Both cars are from local owners. They are not Xs that is for sure.

I bought the first one for my daughter for a college car up north for 3500 knowing it had some needs and had been in a minor front end accident. I have done the maintenance basics of changing fluids, filters and so on. I am starting on the deferred maintenance items which any car with 157k on it will need. In this case primarily minor suspension bits and pieces.

The other I bought because it was in notably better condition and just 3000. I figured I can sell one and keep whichever one ends up in the best condition. This car is also receiving all the normal maintenance items it needs: fluids, filters and a few minor suspension issues.

The one for 3k has 187k on it, these vehicles are good for 300 plus with reasonable maintenance so it really isn’t a bad choice to pick one up. So here is the thing, the folks who owned it took pretty good care of the car but unloaded it when a very typical Honda VTEC issue cropped up. This causes the car to go into limp mode (2800 rpm max) and the instrument lights lit up like a Christmas tree. A typical cause of this is failure to change the oil in a timely manner and or to let the oil level get low, in this case both were evidently the cause. Typical repairs are to change the oil and change the VTEC oil pressure sensor, clean two filter screens in the head, doing these things seems to have cleared up the problem. Without this issue the car could have sold for over 5k, instead they maybe got 1500 at the dealer, effectively over a oil change.

With both of these cars I was struck by the age and very evident worn condition of the fluids, likely OE from the factory. The air cleaner filters were effectively completely blocked (at least they had one) and so on. I suppose Honda owners get so used to not having to do anything and the cars just trudge on regardless that not doing anything just becomes second nature by the owners.

They both run much better now and I have learned a few engineering foibles about Hondas that are less than magnificent. Now it looks like my son will end up with one and my daughter the other. In the mean time one is doing service as my winter daily. Good car in the winter, just a bit thirsty.

I agree with your assessment Karl. Hondas are typically so benign that it is very easy to put off maintenance. I am guilty here too.

I bought my 2003 Pilot with 180K on it, it is now at 261K and still running good. It does need a new set of front axles this spring. I have replaced the brakes twice, new struts and shocks, lots of fluids, and of course the dreaded timing belt and water pump. I had a shop do that.

The nagging issue for me is the power steering is very stubborn on cold mornings. It seems to have air in the system, but never leaks. I have found that flushing the fluid every 6 months or so really helps, so that's what I do.

The front axles are clickety clicking under load when towing. Day to day driving I never hear or feel any issues, so I will gamble on waiting a few months.

I should add that part of the problem may be the dealership service departments. I took the Pilot in for its 3rd airbag recall in August. The service guy came back to talk go me with a list of "needed" repairs at $2700.00. I bet lots of Honda owners know little about their cars and are very reluctant to pay big bucks for maintenance on a car that is running fine.

I do not think this behavior is specific to Hondas however. Many makes of vehicles seem to just keep going despite a lack of proper servicing/maintenance. I will admit to being guilty of this with many of the German vehicles I've owned over the years. You become so accustomed to them never failing that you take on the attitude they are immortal. Which they kind of are. I've put more than 300,000 miles on several BMW's with nothing more than a couple things like water pump, brakes, battery, and a hose or belt here and there - I think tires were the most frequent item to get replaced. And I was very guilty of never changing the oil (typically more than 10,000 between changes, if that). However this isn't the case with my Fiats. They get frequently maintained by way of needed repairs. :D

Back