Mazda RX8 seats in a 128 sedan

Dalbello

Daily Driver
The seats in my 128 sedan are toast and I am looking for alternatives. Miata seats are hard to get here and when I do find them they are not worth getting.
I can get a set of RX8 seats but not sure if they fit, I know they are not going to be a direct fit but wondering if anyone here has ever tried them. Looking to make sure the height or width would work. I have read here that someone put a set in an x1/9 with success but wondering about a 128?
Any suggestions would be great.
thanks

Trust me, nothing is a direct fit into the 128. I have tried many options. However, that is also a good thing, it means you can put pretty much anything you want into it. Just need to fab some mounts. Not really too hard.

Too bad you can't get Miata seats, I had them in all my 128s and SLs. I would imagine you could put any seat you want in a 128 since there is so much room on the sides and top.

Thanks for the input, the Corbeau GTS seats in Canada are way too expensive, they would cost me about $3000 Canadian for a set and thats now going to happen. The smittybilt seat looks good but I need to find them in Canada, which could be hard. That Jeep place does not ship to Canada.

Miata seats are hard to find since many of the ones I have seen are just gone to far to use and re-upholestry costs are really high.
The BMW seats may be an option.

As you live in Canada, 2010-14 VW Golf Mk 6 seats are really excellent. They generally come in gray cloth with excellent bolsters, adjustable lumbar and often seat heaters. They are nearly a GTI seat without the plaid fabric.
034B9F9E-09E8-43DB-A9B3-470B916BC2D4.jpeg 74B8AE75-4CFA-4867-AEC2-AD9BA647DA8F.jpeg 04A45024-5C82-48F1-8B8A-DC362F4BE5EF.jpeg

The seats in 2010 Jettas are similar but with less bolstering and can be had in cloth, leatherette and leather.
The 2010-2014 Sportswagen has seats similar to the Jetta with similar material choices.
D339DF9D-70C2-4A3A-B4D9-90AE4233AF14.png 39393A60-B6E2-445F-BABA-F1EC0E7B7EB1.png E46B702C-DB63-4692-ACB5-AC45CDB1B0A1.png

Avoid the Mk4 seats (they are good as well) but much less sporty unless you can get the GTI ones. The same for the CitiGolf that was available up there (god what an ugly update that was).

Last edited:
The trouble with more modern seats is at some point they come with built in airbags which would make them prohibitively expensive and you need non-electric seats which get harder to find. I imagine seats from 90s Civics would work too. I would think any seats would be way better than stock 128 seats. I got some Acura Integra seats for my brother's BMW 2002 as they were leather and had non-integral headrests and looked very period correct for that car.

Lots of times the seats are just sold as seats from an older car, side airbags or not.

Hitching up a power recline or heat would not be much of a chore. VW seats from that era are primarily manual aside from the recline (because so many Americans complained about the vernier knobs and how many turns it took to recline them)

I found a set of Acura RSX seats that are leather. I am going to see them on Friday and hope they work out, stay tooned.

Dalbello, pretty much any seat will fit. There is quite a bit of room, and knowing you are going to need to make brackets for it, well, sky is the limit. One thing I have always found interesting at most junk yards is how the European section of it seems to have all the seats, etc in them. Audi's, BMW, Etc. Some of them have very nice seat options as well. Let us know what you choose!

Back