Mecum auctions : 1976 FIAT X19 BERTONE

Guess that tells me all I need to know about the exxe’s ‘classic’ value.
Not necessarily. Mecum isn't the best indictor. They skip a ton of cars on TV.

And seems to be a buyers market right now. Cars were going cheap all day.

X values have been slowly creeping up before the pandemic. Admittedly not drastically, but steadily.

I find the upward trending sales chart on BOT is somewhat encouraging.

(Not to mention, it's a lot of fun to peruse those well done ad archives.) 😊

Last edited:
Guess that tells me all I need to know about the exxe’s ‘classic’ value.

There are at lot of factors that go in a car being "on TV" at a Mecum. A seller can ask to have that done or if they have the sales muscle, they can get it done. Mecum certainly knows what cars are more popular and try to plan to have those cars make air. High end cars are tracked and commercial breaks re-arranged and sometimes, cars are even moved out of order in order to get them on TV.

An X would not generate a ton of interest at Mecum and they like to have cars on TV that generate bidding if possible. Also, they may not know the broadcast schedule when the cars are being picked for the auction order. But they do enjoy seeing different kinds of cars on the broadcast.

Personally, I would not use a Mecum Hammer Price as a big factor in the overall value of X1/9s these days. That hammer price is just what people in the room thought it was worth that day at that time.

and Mecum has more of a muscle car guy attendance vs Bonhams or Barrett-Jackson. If you're there because a 67 Chevelle SS or a 32 Ford hot rod suits your fancy, you ain't biddin' on no orange Fiat.

and Mecum has more of a muscle car guy attendance vs Bonhams or Barrett-Jackson. If you're there because a 67 Chevelle SS or a 32 Ford hot rod suits your fancy, you ain't biddin' on no orange Fiat.
Yeah, gotta agree that the U.S. tv auctions mainly focus on cars I wouldn’t buy. Very few funky, euro or japanese oddities. Anyone know what the X1/9 went for?

From the video Mecum posted of Day 1 at the Houston auction. The X is 2:28:36 in. The announcer called it an Fiat X, Nineteen, Bertone. What a shock!

A perfect example of why Mecum is not the ideal place for these cars... listen to the where they start the bidding - how the ask continues to go down - and the subsequent comments from the announcer.

From the video Mecum posted of Day 1 at the Houston auction. The X is 2:28:36 in. The announcer called it an Fiat X, Nineteen, Bertone. What a shock!

A perfect example of why Mecum is not the ideal place for these cars... listen to the where they start the bidding - how the ask continues to go down - and the subsequent comments from the announcer.

Thanks for the video link. I passed it on to my buddy so he can see what the car sold for and how the bidding went.

Couldn't help but chuckle at the "6000?? Are you kidding me? Holy Moley, that's for nothing."
About a month ago, a guy in Nevada was selling what appeared to be an immaculate X1/9, blue, with a 1500 engine and five speed, and $2k of interior upgrades, which looked pretty good. He also had the original, 1300 engine which was included. Couldn't get the $6800 he was asking.

About a month ago, a guy in Nevada was selling what appeared to be an immaculate X1/9, blue, with a 1500 engine and five speed, and $2k of interior upgrades, which looked pretty good. He also had the original, 1300 engine which was included. Couldn't get the $6800 he was asking.

Probably due to those very same interior "upgrades"

That is a neat looking X. Good eyeball from 10'. Can get you all excited in an auction setting without even driving her. That's what the auction houses (literally) bank on. And that's scary. Listen CAREFULLY to what JimD is saying about this car, then compare it to how this car will be represented at auction.

As a guy who put some pretty nice iron up at a "reputable" auction house, I will say this;

Total F'n rip-off for the average schmuck spending south of $100K. Pure paint and lipstick tactics. "Buyer Beware" is not just a clever saying, it's a survival mantra in the auction environment. The Wayne Carini's are few and very far between. And even he takes a bath more than you see on TV.

Pretty good price for a car with front bumper problems (pushed in on pass side). Did they do that to it there?

Back