Melted Piston.

Chris, thanks for taking the time to explain the process in detail.

Given the circumstances, it does seem that the more streamlined choice is to go with a CC.

Made an extension flange for the water pipe - to reinforce the flange and to offset the lost length resulting from the T/stat adaptor flange needed to go from the Punto head to the X1/9 housing.

X19_0517.jpg

X19_0516.jpg

Water pump gaskets are the wrong size - I've contacted Obert to see what mistake I made - presumably there is more than one size?

X19_0518.jpg

Last edited:
Hussein, would it have been easier...

to re-do the pipe? Looks like that extension was a considerable amount of work and the pipe was showing corrosion.
Just curious. Nice work on the extension BTW.

Chris is going to exchange the two gaskets I bought for the correct smaller size. Thank you, Chris.

to re-do the pipe? Looks like that extension was a considerable amount of work and the pipe was showing corrosion.
Just curious. Nice work on the extension BTW.

The stock flange is so flimsy, I didn't want to mess with it. I considered fabricating a completely new pipe, but this was not difficult - I borrowed a friend's milling machine to make the extension :) The corrosion is not bad.

The Volvo V70 water pipe is the same ID pipe - thicker wall though. I considered using one of those, but I would still have had to make a flange, as Volvo uses an oring seal in the water pump housing. I then considered modifying the Fiat housing to accept an oring, but there's not enough meat on the inside to cut a groove for an oring seat.

So, just easier to reuse the Fiat one :D

Crank was cleaned today - oil galley plugs removed - this is what came out...

IMG_0296_zpsc870fc21.jpg

Most parts are here now, just waiting on a few odds & ends.

Crank tails are different ID - I don't recall the input shaft riding in the crank like older cars... can anyone confirm?

X19_0519.jpg

Last edited:
Auto crank was a guess based on similar experiences with 1500's

If the flywheel fits on properly then it's a non issue and actually from a manual trans car, the input shaft doesn't actually fit into the crank...

auto cranks are a little different and the manual flywheel doesn't fit up properly.

SteveC

OK - so I need to check flywheel fitment ASAP. Seems F'kd that Fiat would actually use different cranks for manual & auto setups.

Tell me about it!! I learned the hard way too... had engine fully built, took it off the engine stand to fit the flywheel and it wouldn't go on... so engine apart, crank out, off to get machined, rinse and repeat.

Something to do with flex plate / torque conv / trans being a VW unit....

I checked the two cranks I have in my shop at the moment, both look like yours and the flywheel goes on fine... but check yours just in case.

BTW just noticed your water pump, thats the cast iron housing as per ritmo/strada type pump... that's why the gasket was wrong, Chris supplied the correct gasket for a "regular" sohc... I like the pumps as the impeller is the most effficient, but dont like the housings 'coz they are heavy... if you've got A/C then it could be what the late A/C X19's use in north america???

SteveC

BTW just noticed your water pump, thats the cast iron housing as per ritmo/strada type pump... that's why the gasket was wrong, Chris supplied the correct gasket for a "regular" sohc... I like the pumps as the impeller is the most effficient, but dont like the housings 'coz they are heavy... if you've got A/C then it could be what the late A/C X19's use in north america???

Yes, that is exactly the case. :nod: The late USA A/C-equipped X's used the beefy cast iron type water pump housing like his.

SteveC

Yeah, it was my error not his - I just saw water pump gasket & missed the notation on AC nonA/C variations. He is sending me replacements (ordered two - doesn't hurt to keep a spare, I reckon).

Block being bored

IMG_3063_zpsf613ff8f.jpg

needs to be decked - has uneven areas - the shiny hatching is where he ran the milling tool over the surface to check

IMG_3064_zps76b69e29.jpg

Next he will assemble the crank, pistons & rods & measure for the flycuts.

Pistons protrude .025" over deck. With a compressed gasket height of .065" is this OK? Any experience with this?

Cranks from DMB ( factory in Serbia} was 9,3kg and rods was lighter than fiat for cc30 grams -from factory .But I saw some 9,7kg

Written by Fiatfactory using your Mahle pistons.
With these pistons a "pop up" of 0.65mm (.025")will be achieved at TDC with a stroker crank. If used in conjuction with a felpro head gasket (which is approx 1.5mm thick when crushed) this will give a piston to head clearance of 0.85mm... about as tight as you want to get...

I'm sure Fiatfactory will chime in but I would say you are sitting nicely. I think a head gasket with a crush of 1.5mm or 0.006" would be better giving a clearance of 0.85mm.

From what I've read, you have to get the squish to under 1mm for real performance.

'PeteX1/9

Back