While I understand what you are trying to say about the fixed position of the UT sprayers relative to the piston location, there will be a difference in the actual contact area of that spray as the piston moves up and down. It is a matter of geometry and physics.

For what it's worth, the Cummings sprayers also have a check valve to prevent spray under a set pressure. So really no significant functional difference from the Fiat ones. What I'm not sure about is the volume of oil (size of orifice) that either ones passes.

It appears to me there is a groove in the back of the bearing shells that delivers oil to the rod squirters all the time, regardless of the cross drilled holes in the crank. That might depend on the brand and part number of bearings used? Isn't this the same principle for the oil supply to the bearing/crank journal surfaces, the cross drilled holes supply constant oil due to a groove in the front surface of the shell?

Last edited:
Waterbury, quick question, how do you mount the injectors to the fuel rail? Is there a cup of some sort that the o-rings fit into?

And can microsquirt handle a map sensor?
Thanks,
Ralph

Waterbury, quick question, how do you mount the injectors to the fuel rail? Is there a cup of some sort that the o-rings fit into?

And can microsquirt handle a map sensor?
Thanks,
Ralph
Hey Ralph,

They are pressure fitted with o rings. I can try and snag some better pictures when I get home from this work trip. I owe all of you some running videos too. Work has gotten a little crazy now that Covid has let up a bit, and my brother and I have been trying to sell an AW11 + finish the Celica Alltrac build.

Yes it can handle a MAP, I am currently running a GM one.

Did you modify the length of the Fuel Injector Bungs? Are they the length that was received?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you modify the length of the Fuel Injector Bungs? Are they the length that was received?
Thanks!
1637588775632.png

No, this picture shows how they looked in the modified trumpets before welding. Of course if needed they can be trimmed down non injector side.

Shouldn’t they be shorter? The nozzle of the injector should be close/in the airstream to ensure proper dispersion of the atomized fuel.
That was a concern of mine as well but my tuner assured me it was fine the way we did it. I don't know enough about injection dispersion to argue . . .
It runs fine though, so I guess it's ok?

Thanks I have them on order. Is it okay if I just use regular fi rated fuel hose?
Nice! I just used some pretty generic AN6 fuel hose kit, works well and looks clean.

I understand that I'm late to the party on this one but... We made a pulley with a toothed wheel similar to the pictures you showed and it broke almost immediately. Mine could have been a fluke but I've since built another where I bolted the toothed wheel to an inner pulley from an AC car (the one with the three studs) I've had no trouble at all. When the welded one came loose, it punched some interesting patterns in my passenger-side frame rail. Just for what it's worth.

Shouldn’t they be shorter? The nozzle of the injector should be close/in the airstream to ensure proper dispersion of the atomized fuel.
That's what I am thinking as well. I thought about rebuilding my runners as well to accept a fuel rail and to have bigger and different types of injectors. However, as the intake runners are angled, my conclusion was that this is not a good idea as the injector wouldn't line up with the tube/inlet. Instead I bored up the injector holes to fit "modern" injectors":
IMG_20191012_124705.jpg

IMG_20191012_153432.jpg

There are more details in the Turbo thread if interested.

That's what I am thinking as well. I thought about rebuilding my runners as well to accept a fuel rail and to have bigger and different types of injectors. However, as the intake runners are angled, my conclusion was that this is not a good idea as the injector wouldn't line up with the tube/inlet. Instead I bored up the injector holes to fit "modern" injectors":
View attachment 55309
View attachment 55310
There are more details in the Turbo thread if interested.
Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?

Have a look at about post #110 and forward.

Note that the picture above is my final result. I played a lot with injectors from Volvo etc to find out different options.

I believe it was discussed in the turbo thread that Bjorn linked, but there are some "modern" aftermarket injectors available that will fit the stock Fiat SOHC runners and fuel rail. I'd have to go back to that thread to find the specific reference I had for two examples; they are high impedance (good for MicroSquirt), available in two flow rates (both much higher than stock), and they have the stock style mount and hose connections. So they should be a direct fit for the stock runners and fuel rail. The price wasn't too bad either.

EDIT: I just took a quick look through some of the turbo thread and did not see my prior reference to the injectors described here. So here's a link to their site:

Last edited:
Finally finished up some other projects and have some holiday time off to play with the X.

Ordered a new heavy duty head gasket and tried to find my overheating issue. . . .which was evident right away. My head was completely blocked up with gunk. Most likely crud from old coolant that sat for years. This was an as is motor I quickly threw in and never removed the head for inspection. I will plan to pressure wash this all out and slap it back in.

New Piper street cam will be installed now too, as it's good as time as ever while the head is off.

And yes, I made sure the headgasket wasn't upside down this time :D

Attachments

• IMG_20211219_214619.jpg
    IMG_20211219_214619.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20211219_215618.jpg
    IMG_20211219_215618.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 99
Travel for work slowing down a little bit and pool area is ready for plenty of fun summer days. . . Means time to get back in the garage.

New head gasket installed, Piper cam installed (still need to measure and get proper shims), master cylinders and hosing replaced (still need bled), cut out coolant pipes and replaced with copper.

Next up is suspension and brake refurb.
Then onto radiator after that.

Have decided to take this project a little bit slower and less. . . engine engine engine. . . To take care of other important items that have been neglected.

IMG_20220610_131629.jpg
IMG_20220610_132837.jpg
IMG_20220610_163801.jpg

IMG_20220610_153841.jpg

Very happy to see you are able to get back on this project. Mine has stalled due to other obligations but I'm hoping I can resume it before too long.

Back