Midwest-Bayless Open House - Saturday August 3rd

I think Jim still has it

I think Jim still has the orange X. Here is a whole picture fro 2007 at the open house:

Jim was at the open house yesterday, so maybe he will see this and add some info. I know he has 3 X1/9s currently and was talking about one that was just about to get painted. Not sure which car though.

Thank you Matt and Marnie!

Bob, Erika and I made the journey home safe and sound and Jim McKenzie is in possession of his "new" X! What a weekend tho'! Over 1500 miles round trip, lots of great folks, cars and conversations!

Thank you again for a great event! It was an absolute pleasure to meet Art Bayless and his lovely wife Sue! Wow!

Ditto on the trip!

The drive was long but the company was great, the Open-House event was
great too and I got to meet some long-standing X1/9 folks!
It was a pleasure to finally meet Art Bayless and talk old FIAT days with him.

I'll try to get a few more photos posted sometime this evening. :woot:

Thank you!

Biggest thanks to Mike, Erika and Bob who trailered my car from the event all the way to Worcester Mass. I owe you guys dinner at the least! Such nice people!
Car drove very well this morning, looking forward to more drives!

What has been of Art Bayless? I remember talking with him by phone in the 90´s about my old ´78 , full of performance mods. Are Matt and Art related, are they family?

What has been of Art Bayless? I remember talking with him by phone in the 90´s about my old ´78 , full of performance mods. Are Matt and Art related, are they family?

Long story short, Art and Sue Bayless retired and Matt was fortunate enough to be at the right place to buy their inventory. Pass the torch so to speak.

It's still running strong

It was nice to get back up to Matt's shop and see everyone.

Thanks for doing this Matt.

I have the X you are referring to. I drove it occasionally since I bought it until about a year ago. Since then I've stripped the paint down to metal and am working to replace (with new parts from Europe) a couple spots that had been filled with glass sometime before I got it. It's going to be the nice '75 Fiat orange.

By the way the cylinders pull 165 psi - dry across the board. It's got a lot of low end torque. A really fun car.

Jim D was wrong. I only have 2 X's now (and a new Abarth).

By the way the cylinders pull 165 psi - dry across the board. It's got a lot of low end torque. A really fun car.

Jim D was wrong. I only have 2 X's now (and a new Abarth).

Glad to see it being well cared for. I have a lot of mileage following and being followed by that car with the beer trailer.

Sadly, the trailer was scraped. You should build another. :nod:

Sorry couldn't make it...

son had accident with Jeep (everyone fine). Lady he hit was very VERY complicated.

1989 Jeep Cherokee meeting the rear of a 2012 Cruze at 5 mph is not pretty, in case your wondering. Jeep is fine. :angel:

Back