Midwest front anti sway bar

Ron Avery

True Classic
I install the Midwest Bayless front antisway bar on my 1976 x1/9. The difference is amazing my car has lower stiffer yellow Springs with KYB shocks . And Perelli 13 inch tires turning into a corner is sharpe and crisp without of any feeling of body lean
753F4DD0-2E73-40C8-8949-F81DA3C0BCB9.jpeg
67DA1DDA-BC5D-4B63-BF45-BDD1CE672E62.jpeg
7131C257-9A6F-4396-8698-9EAF8AA36482.jpeg

I agree with your assessment Ron. I put a set of MWB Koni coil overs and MWB front bar on my 85X back in 2013 between my first and second seasons of autocross. These changes made a world of difference in how the car drove on street tires. I added a set of Hoosier tires a few weeks into season 2. The car looked the part, but I am a crappy autox driver. :)
1st time on trailer 3.JPG
You can see one of the bar brackets under the car. Those parts are still on the car to this day even though it isn't auto crossed anymore. Same car more recently.
20211008_155701.jpg

The installation looks similar to the Addco 7/8" bar that I put on mine in when the car was new. It made a huge difference in controlling body roll and reducing oversteer.

You should look into the Plaia installation kit which is sold by Fiat Plus.

That installation approach is so hinky I can barely stand to look at it. Well executed and exactly as directed but it is a for isht mechanical solution which is not your fault.

You should look into the Plaia installation kit which is sold by Fiat Plus.

That installation approach is so hinky I can barely stand to look at it. Well executed and exactly as directed but it is a for isht mechanical solution which is not your fault.
I am not sure those Plaia kits are available any longer. They are not in stock.

The way I view that particular installation (with the MWB kit), the urethane "pivot" mounts really aren't pivots at all. They are located on the track rods toward the front (red circle), and the sway bar is connected to the control arms toward the rear (yellow circle). The track rods are firmly attached to the control arms just adjacent to the sway bar (green circle):
F8AA36482.jpg

Therefore effectively the sway bar is attached to the track rods in two places, essentially making the left and right track rods joined. So the forward sway bar mounts (red) do not act like most installation approaches, where it pivots off the frame (chassis). Here they could be solid mounts and work the same. This is done on the rear of some FWD vehicles where the rear suspension has a "beam" from side to side:
s-l500 (1).jpg

I'm not saying the MWB setup is wrong, and I don't know how much difference any other mounting arrangement would make. I'm only pointing out how I view them.

Last edited:
In the past Chris has had them made up to order.View attachment 59155
It even says so in the listing on his site.

This pic of the redesigned mounting arrangement illustrates what I was saying about the location and function of the front "pivot" mounts for the MWB sway bar. Here the pivots are located onto the chassis rather than on the suspension (as with the MWB kit). And the orientation of the pivot axis is perpendicular to the vehicle (red line) so the sway bar can actually pivot, compared to parallel as seen earlier.
DB5C291.png

Again, I'm not saying that either one is good or bad...only comparing them. However the vast majority of sway bar designs are like the one shown in the above pic.

And that’s the way the suspension was designed in the the first place, along with the tyre profile…too much modern tyre and suspension thinking being applied too a late 1960’s designed car.

I agree about the stock set up. My car has 175/70 13 Perelli tires. If I was not participating in so many Auto cross events. I most likely would not have added the anti sway bar. But after I watched my Son in-law do several laps in my car. And after conferring with him about the cars handling ( he is a 3 time SCCA champ and a driving coach).
We decided to look into a anti sway bar. And after a conversation with Matt at MidWest. And going over my cars mods and set up, he recommended the Anti sway bar. He did say without coil overs and still doing some street driving, that a rear bar would not be necessary or optimal.
C2F100E4-0B88-4BF0-B8DC-8AF631262DEE.jpeg
F42D255F-5AEA-46B1-A205-A4B72F9D9478.jpeg

In regards to the X not having excessive roll on an autocross course, I would beg to differ.

The tires on my car are old, tired, mismatched 185/60s and I am far from a competitive driver as I have many bad habits but I can push the car to its limits.

They lean. A front bar would certainly help for a street car used occasionally to autocross or track day. If I was even slightly committed I would go the stiff springs route of managing the suspension.

That is a lot of wheel well.
1F6D2291-15A6-4DF5-816D-8815709569B3.jpeg
3E2DDCA0-A71C-42C7-8833-15250B959AAC.jpeg
BAF96152-71A0-474D-9B71-D41F484A7645.jpeg
6E53F68F-6E09-4A37-82C7-3347398DF927.jpeg
7E1D0BB1-C07C-4D42-9354-3877D6E49E98.jpeg
C48F3549-80C5-49C6-B832-E713D1754316.jpeg
4B2F256C-ECA7-4A13-8CB6-66EB3C8876BE.jpeg

They point was not that it doesn‘t lean.
The point is that it leans and still handles really well while doing so.
My buddy had a bone stock X in top shape with CD30s and 185/60s the only mod.
It was incredible how well it drove fast even though it looked quite spectacular from the outside. Ride quality was also amazing.

Personally, I really like stock springs or lowering springs combined with the front bar. Really makes fast turn in much more confident.

It was incredible how well it drove fast even though it looked quite spectacular from the outside. Ride quality was also amazing.

Personally, I really like stock springs or lowering springs combined with the front bar. Really makes fast turn in much more confident.
You hit the nail on the head.

Agree on all those points. I love how an X rides, a Miata feels like an ox cart in comparison.
I just can't stand the Addco means of adding a bar which is the defacto standard for X front bars.

Yes, Addco are the only bars available, for a long time.
I can't stand it either, but it works surprisingly well.
But it blocks the front center jacking point. 🤬

Yes, Addco are the only bars available, for a long time.
I can't stand it either, but it works surprisingly well.
But it blocks the front center jacking point. 🤬
I assume that is what MWB sells?

I am impressed that ADDCO still manufacturers a set of bars for these cars. A couple years ago I spoke with them at a trade show about the X1/9 application. No one at the show knew they still offered it, nor anything regarding them. I'm sure they don't sell many.

Back