miracle chemicals for smoking motor?

carl

True Classic
Just picked up a car with 146,000 miles and it appears to smoke out the exhaust on accel. I'll get to the source later but wonder what magic elixirs I could try in the interim. I think there is a BG product that some folks have used with some success.

My expectations are low but what the heck.

Hey this post is just as relevant to X1/9s as they are to the dreaded M car, I don't know the general tone on Miata.net yet and I do sadly trust you guys.

image.jpeg This works. You need to use it instead of your regular oil

Not sure that anything will eliminate the burning of oil in a worn engine, but the post by Twincam69 reminded me. Back when I rode two-stroke dirt bikes with pre-mix fuel/oil, I used synthetic oil and there was virtually none of the typical exhaust smoke. Obviously it was still burning the pre-mixed oil, but something about that oil did not produce the usual visible smoke. So possibly there are oils that will not be as noticeable when they burn (which is what I assume the referenced product is). Of course you know what is really needed to fix it.

A heavier weight oil will help if the bearings are worn and it's slinging a lot of oil onto the cylinder walls. A little less gets through the excess clearances, thus less on the cylinder wall. If its just worn cylinder bores and rings, nothing will really help. I have seen several engines that burned a lot of oil torn down to reveal rings stuck in the grooves by coked up oil. There are commercial solvents you can but in the crankcase to try to free them, but a quart of ATF mixed with the oil seems to work pretty well too.

Thanks guys. Now that I have driven the car for awhile I'll have to have someone follow me to detect the current smoking as I have never seen it while driving. Could be the car sat for a long time....the seller was less than truthful about it's recent prior history (what a surprise).

3 Quarts of 20W50 oil and 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I had broken lands on 2 pistons, the oil burning stopped with that mixture. As for synthetic oil, my nephew changed the oil on his X to full synthetic and the car smoked and burnt oil terribly. He followed my recommendation as stated and all is well.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back