Missing modern feature of the X

ecohen2

True Classic
I was out yesterday enjoying my X and got into a funny discussion with my brother. What modern feature do you miss the most in your X1/9?

A partial list we discussed included:
1. Cup holders
2. Cruise control
3. Navigation
4. Bluetooth for your phone
5. ABS / crash avoidance

For me it is remote door locks...

Ed

The whole reason I like my X is because it doesn't have any of that crap....then again my X doesn't have headlights or turn signals.
I must admit though, when Ed and I went on the Fiata club first annual Superbowl drive, I took the Miata which had things like an interior, lights etc.

The only "modern car" thing I find myself missing in any of my Fiats is something to hold a coffee cup. I'm very much NOT into the whole idea of using a car as a dinner table, snack bar, etc., but I do find myself heading out in the morning & would like to take a tumbler of coffee with me. Even then, "miss" is a pretty strong word for how I feel about it.

I guess I may also miss mindless operating strong headlights, but that's mostly remedied once & done.

For me, these cars are all about getting away from all of those things in favor or a purer driving experience...a connection to the car, it's mechanicals, etc. I do realize, of course, you can have that connection & experience while also enjoying GPS, bluetooth, and knowing you have ABS.

You can add GPS an Bluetooth to any car. Our Xs have an early form of ABS...terrible brakes.
If you want all the modern stuff in your X, get a new Miata RF as it's a small, light sports car with a targa top and probably costs as much as a theoretical 2020 X1/9.

I have a blade style 2 cup holder thingy like this item, but I saw this on Amazon recently. Only one cup, but some purposeful design for holding a phone, etc. I might get one and see how it works out. Of course, they are harder to find room for when you have a passenger.

Regarding modern cars... Oh my, do I get annoyed when my wife and daughter get in a panic over the Tire Pressure Monitor indicator coming on in their cars.

I consider it a benefit that my X has none of the above "features". But I must confess that I have a phone holder that I use as a digital speedometer (I cant see the dial on the dashboard) and GPS. Also, an indash radio that has Bluetooth.

Remote door locks is an easy one. I added that to the trainer queen. ;-)
Also added auto-dimming compass mirror as well as a 3rd brake light.

Last edited:
I consider it a benefit that my X has none of the above "features". But I must confess that I have a phone holder that I use as a digital speedometer (I cant see the dial on the dashboard) and GPS. Also, an indash radio that has Bluetooth.

Joe, I picked up one of these GPS speedometer units. It works really well, but seems a bit pricey. My 85's speedometer is way off due to a couple factors. I always intend to fix them, but never do. :rolleyes:

1. Cup holders
Can't drink and shift at the same time!
2. Cruise control
Could be useful....
3. Navigation
Phone app.
Can't hear much when the top's off and windows are down; but most newer aftermarket radios do bluetooth to your phone, and there are standalone handsfree gizmos like Jabra Freeway
5. ABS / crash avoidance
Well, if you are trying to drink coffee while downshifting, talking on the phone and looking at the nav screen, I guess accident avoidance could be a good thing.....

Not sure if this even exists, but auto-dimming side view mirrors would be nice.

I was out yesterday enjoying my X and got into a funny discussion with my brother. What modern feature do you miss the most in your X1/9?

A partial list we discussed included:
1. Cup holders
2. Cruise control
3. Navigation
5. ABS / crash avoidance

Ed
Sounds like a lot of useless stuff to me.
You can adapt cup holders if you really want them. Personally I do my eating and drinking at the dinning table.
Cruise control, Better be on a level road because the stock X engine is pretty gutless and will kick out on hills.
Navigation, An up to date road map has worked for years and my wife got to be a darn good navigator.
Phone, I won't even go there.
ABS/ crash avoidance, Learn to drive and be aware at all times.
Remote door locks can be done if that is what floats your boat.
There is a story called Marching Morons written by Fredrick Pohl and C.W. Cornbluth .
It is an old story but still parallels today's society when it comes to protecting people stupid enough to stick their finger in a live light socket.
All the crap they put on cars now days is just more things to go wrong and costs money to repair when it does plus it make lazy people even lazier.

@dragonsgate I actually think all the stuff that has been added to cars has lowered the bar for driving and increased the amount of distractions which in most cases is not a good thing. On the other hand technology like anti-lock and crash avoidance hardware has saved me a couple of times. Not because it was in my car, but because it was in the car about to hit me. Sadly I lost two Alfa's to people that that were using their phone either for navigation or a call and slammed into my car...

Not sure if this even exists, but auto-dimming side view mirrors would be nice.
Dan I know what you mean about the mirrors. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, and driving at night the rearview mirrors (all of them) are a real nuisance due to cars behind me.

For the inside mirror I appreciate the automatic dimming feature on my newer cars, but for my vintage cars I use a "day/night" flip inside mirror to allow manual control of it.

And for outside mirrors I like "remote power" ones, so I can tilt them down a little - just enough to get the headlights behind me out of direct view, but not so much as to not be able to see what's there. Although it would be nice to have power side mirrors on my vintage cars, they do not fit the 'vintage style' of most those cars. It would be nice if they made period correct style mirrors with power controls.
However if "automatic" outside mirrors existed (maybe they do on some new cars?) then that would be even better.

I think the question of modern conveniences depends on what the vehicle is used for. Is it a daily driver used to commute to work everyday, a secondary "backup" car for times when the daily is out of commission or someone else needs a car, a distance traveling "road trip" car, or just a "toy" used on those occasions when you have some free time and nowhere to be so you go for a fun short drive? Each of these purposes will have very different requirements and therefore very different modern needs. For me all of my vintage vehicles (including X's) are strictly "toys", and never considered for any of those other purposes. So modern conveniences are not needed nor desired, with one exception.

The only "modern convenience" I'd really like to have with my X's is reliability/quality/dependability. I absolutely hate any vehicle that isn't 100% reliable at all times. I have a friend that says it is part of the excitement to never know if your car will get you back home. And I've had a few "adventures" with him when one of his vehicles has let us down. My life has plenty of excitement and adventures without that type.

This, combined with the lack of power (another undesired inconvenience with the X), is what just might eventually persuade me to do a powertrain swap in one of my X's.

Back